How CAPS Can Help Parents

How CAPS Can Help Parents

Immediate Help

If a student is imminently suicidal or endangering their life or the life of someone else, take immediate action.  Please see Suicide Prevention or Emergencies and After Hours Care if this applies to you.   However, there are "grey areas" when professional services might be helpful but your student wants to handle things on his or her own. 

If you feel that a serious situation requires that a University official reach out to your student, you may contact Public Safety, the Dean of Students, and/or their Area Coordinator (for students who live in on-campus housing).

Consult with a Therapist

We invite parents to call CAPS to speak with one of our staff if you have any questions about our services, how to assist your student, or how to refer students to our office.  We can also provide parents with referrals to therapy services for their student outside the University.

PLEASE NOTE:  Confidentiality is essential to the therapeutic relationship we establish and maintain with students who seek our services. We adhere to confidentiality guidelines mandated by Washington law as well as those required by our professional licensing boards. We understand and appreciate that parents often wish to be involved when their student seeks psychotherapy; however, confidentiality law does not permit us to talk with parents in any way about their student's participation in therapy without the student's written consent (except in certain emergency situations).

Under ordinary circumstances, we can not confirm or deny that a student has come to CAPS for a psychotherapy session or disclose the name of his or her therapist. However, if you are worried about your student, you are welcome to contact CAPS and share your concerns.

Self-Help Information

Our website features links to mental health resources students and parents may find helpful.

Other Information 

  • Students must make their own appointments.   A therapist can talk with you about ways to encourage your student to schedule an appointment and how to talk to them about psychotherapy.

  • Brief psychotherapy at CAPS is provided to SU students currently enrolled at no charge. Students who need or desire on-going psychotherapy, psychiatric care or specialized mental health treatment are referred to community resources. These costs are covered by the student's own health insurance and financial resources. There are many mental health providers and clinics close to campus.

Links and Resources

Below are several links to informative websites that you might find helpful. 


Need Immediate Help?

If you or someone around you is experiencing an emergency or are in a crisis, please call one of the numbers below to get in touch with someone right away:

Helpful Seattle U Resources