Information for Faculty and Staff

Information for Faculty and Staff 

This section is designed to assist faculty and staff when a distressed or distressing student comes to your attention.

When to Make a Referral to CAPS

  • You experience conflict between your professional role with the student and providing extensive personal support.
  • You have talked to the student and helped as much as you can, but further assistance is needed.
  • The student admits that there is a concern, but doesn't want to talk to you about it.
  • The student asks for information or assistance that you are unable to provide.

Let the student know that you are concerned and recommend getting help from the appropriate source. It may help the student to know that you support their desire to seek help.

For emergencies requiring hospital care, please contact Campus Public Safety.


If you feel that you would benefit from discussing the situation with one of our clinicians, please contact our office to get consultation.  We can assist you with identifying helpful resources on campus and how refer the student to CAPS. Contact our office at 206-296-6090  to request consultation during business hours.  

On evenings and weekends, contact Campus Public Safety at 206-296-5990 for assistance with any situations of concern.

Other helpful information: 

  • Faculty and staff can share information with the CARE team about a student of concern. The CARE team can connect the student with on and off campus resources, consult about how to respond to various concerns, and facilitate formal and informal outreach to the student.  
  • Students must make their own appointments.   A therapist can talk with you about ways to encourage your student to schedule an appointment and how to talk to them about psychotherapy.
  • Please note: All CAPS' clinical services are confidential: no information is released without the student's permission, unless required by law. This means that we cannot tell anyone, inside or outside of the University, that the student is receiving CAPS services unless the student gives us written authorization to do so.  You are always welcome to provide any information to CAPS.  If you feel that it is important to receive confirmation or follow-up from CAPS, you may speak with the student about completing an authorization to release health information, which they can do in our office.  


Need Immediate Help?

If you or someone around you is experiencing an emergency or are in a crisis, please call one of the numbers below to get in touch with someone right away:

Helpful Seattle U Resources