Joint Degree Programs

Joint degree programs are an excellent way for students to pursue an advanced degree in addition to a J.D. and complete both programs in less time than it would have taken if you did the degrees separately. The following information is provided by the Seattle University School of Law

What joint degree programs are offered at Seattle University?

How does a joint degree program work?

A joint degree program allows you to receive dual graduate degrees and thus broaden your education. It is possible for you to earn a J.D. and a master's degree through cross-credit arrangements. Each graduate school accepts credits from the other school towards the degree. This allows students to receive dual degrees in less time than if the two degrees were obtained independently.

Who is eligible to participate in the joint degree programs?

You may decide to enroll in the joint degree programs either before you start either academic program or during your first year in either program. After you have completed your first year of studies, you are no longer eligible to apply for a joint degree.

How long will it take for me to complete a joint degree?

You will spend your first year at either the School of Law or at the other college program. The second year is spent at the other school (i.e. if you did your first year at Albers, your entire second year is at the School of Law and vice versa). The last two years (or more) are mixed as students may take courses in both schools. The minimum length of time to complete the joint degree is four years for full-time students. The length of time required for completion is longer if the student is part-time and/or if the student must complete prerequisites for the other graduate degree.

Are there pre-requisite courses?

To be eligible for the joint degree program in the Albers School of Business and Economics, you must demonstrate a basic foundation for the advanced studies. Students with previous comparable course work with a B (3.0) or better have the option of waiving the prerequisite courses.

You must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in order to apply for the School of Law. There are no other required courses or majors for law school.

How do I apply?

You must apply separately to both the School of Law and the second college program, following the admission procedures established by each school. Acceptance by one school does not guarantee admission to the other. Once you are admitted to both schools, you will have to decide at which school you will matriculate first.

What standardized tests do I need to take?

You will need to take and score competitively on both the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and, if applying to the Albers School of Business and Economics, the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). Other programs may require the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE).

What are the admission requirements for each program?

Contact Graduate Admissions for additional information. 

Once I have been admitted to both programs, what do I do next?

You will need to complete a form indicating at which college/school you wish to commence your studies. That college/school will become your "home school" and will provide you with a financial aid award and other services throughout your tenure in the joint degree program.

Will I be eligible for financial aid?

Yes, as long as you are enrolled at least part-time. There are several financial aid options available: student loans, scholarships, and work-study. It is possible to fund your joint degree program completely through financial aid. You will need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Check the Financial Aid section of our site for further details.


With Us