Academic Alerts and Hardship Withdrawals

Academic Alerts 

Seattle University utilizes an early alert system called Redhawk SOAR that is designed to connect students experiencing difficulties with campus resources and support. If a student is not attending classes, struggling with assignments and tests, or experiencing urgent personal concerns or issues, a faculty or staff member may submit an academic alert about this student. This alert prompts an advisor to contact the student so they can provide them with resources, support, and next steps. Learn more about the alert system by logging into MySeattleU and selecting Redhawk SOAR from the "Academics" section of the menu. 

Hardship Withdrawal 

After the withdrawal deadline, withdrawal from classes are only permitted in the case of a personal hardship. A Hardship Withdrawal is granted by the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Support for reasons relating to death of a family member, catastrophic illness in the family, or an illness and/or injury to the student. Hardship Withdrawals may be granted for one or multiple classes in a current or past quarter. In addition, students granted a Hardship Withdrawal may be required to take additional action before being allowed to re-enroll in a following term.

To request a Hardship Withdrawal, please follow these steps:

  1. Meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Academic Support, Dr. Kate Elias, to discuss your situation. Contact the Arts & Sciences Advising Center to schedule an appointment.
  2. Request and complete a Hardship Withdrawal Request form. Students can obtain this form from the Arts & Sciences Advising Center or the Office of the Registrar. Students should complete the form through the student signature section.
  3. Submit a Healthcare Statement. Students can obtain this form from the Arts & Sciences Advising Center or the Office of the Registrar. Page 1 of this document is required and is your authorization for your health care provider to provide confidential information about your medical situation. Page 2 is optional; a letter from your doctor’s office on letterhead is acceptable as a substitute.
  4. If you're withdrawing from a current class, email your professor notifying them of your intent to request a Hardship Withdrawal. Please include your academic advisor and your student financial services counselor (if necessary) on this email.
  5. If you are living in a residence hall, please notify your RA or the Housing office staff of your intent to request a Hardship Withdrawal.

For more information about the university's Hardship Withdrawal policy and process - including information regarding tuition refunds - please read more here or refer to the Office of the Registrar's Academic Policies page.

With Us

Contact Us

Arts & Sciences
Advising Center

Casey 110

Office Hours


8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.