Resolving Student Concerns

A Good First Step

Faculty and staff in the College of Science and Engineering understand the importance of creating and maintaining a positive and productive learning environment, and have developed several resources to help students resolve concerns quickly and directly. The academic advisors in the College of Science and Engineering Advising Center can help you identify appropriate resources and navigate the process. Here are examples where consulting an advisor in the CSE Advising Center may be a good first step:

  • You are unsure about how to talk to a faculty member or department chair about an issue.
  • You have experienced implicit bias or microaggression and need a place to discuss next steps or strategies.
  • You are not sure exactly what you need but are looking for advice.

Please contact and one of our advisors will respond promptly.

A variety of resources are available to students depending on the nature of their concerns:

  • Academic concerns are resolved at the departmental level whenever possible; guidance is provided below on how to proceed with academic issues.
  • Non-academic concerns may be handled by Public Safety, the Dean of Students' CARE Team, the Office of Institutional Equity, or fill out a Campus Climate Incident Report. Please see below for a variety of resources related to non-academic issues.

Academic Concerns

If you have concerns regarding academic activities, including instruction or advising, you should first try to resolve the issue with the other person(s) involved. For example, if you believe you are being treated unfairly by a faculty or staff member, try to talk with that person. Be prepared to present your concerns, articulate how you would like to have them resolved, and work toward a resolution with that person.

If you need additional support, or if a direct communication does not resolve the issue, then reach out to the department chair. Again, be prepared to articulate the issue and how you would like to see the issue resolved. The department chair will work with you to resolve the issue. If the department chair is unable to resolve the issue, or if your issue is with the department chair, contact the Dean’s Office at, and an assistant or associate dean will work with you. Your email should include your name, your program affiliation, your advisor’s name, a brief explanation of the issue, the desired outcome, and a summary of actions and responses taken by the department so far to resolve the issue. The assistant/associate dean may schedule a follow-up meeting to better understand the details of your issue. In any case, you will receive a written response that details a resolution and/or next steps.

If your concern relates to disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Disability Services (ODS) or the associate dean serving as the liaison for ODS (see below) for the College of Science and Engineering.

Please note that specific university policies exist relating to grading grievances and academic integrity violations. For these issues, you must follow the processes and timelines carefully.

The Dean’s Office contacts are:

  • Jennifer Coogan, MA, Director and Assistant Dean of Student Academic Affairs (responsible for advising, probation/dismissal, and general policy information)
  • Katie Kuder, Ph.D., Associate Dean (responsible for liaison with the Office of Disability Services, grade grievances, and academic integrity violations)

Non-Academic Resources