Academic Difficulty

SU has stringent academic requirements and you will be regularly challenged to do your best both in and outside of the classroom. Experiencing academic difficulty is not unusual or something to be ashamed of. If you begin to feel overwhelmed and are not doing as well as you would like, review the information below and utilize resources available to you on campus. If you have you would like to work with an advisor regarding your academic success, contact your assigned academic advisor or stop by the Science and Engineering Advising Center in Engineering 300.

Academic and Personal Support Referrals

Struggling in the classroom? Not doing as well as you would like? There are many resources available to you on campus that can help support your academic success. Stop by the Advising Center located in ENGR 300 to discuss your options.

Academic Standing

Good Standing

Undergraduate students in the College of Science and Engineering are in good academic standing if they have a cumulative SU GPA of 2.00 or better. Depending on their major or program, students could be required to earn a 2.5 or higher. It is important you discuss your specific GPA requirement with your advisor.


Undergraduate students will be placed on probation when their cumulative SU GPA falls below 2.00 or 2.50. Graduate students will be placed on probation when their cumulative SU GPA falls below 3.00 and/or if they receive a grade of B- or lower in any of their classes.

Undergraduate students are required to meet the following conditions while on probation to remain enrolled in the College of Science and Engineering:

  • Students must carry a minimum of 12 credit hours and may not exceed a maximum of 15 credit hours.
  • Students must earn a C or better in all courses.
  • Students may not take Incompletes or Withdrawals without the written authorization of the Associate Dean.
  • All students must meet their academic advisor.
  • All first time probation students must meet with the Science and Engineering Advising Center.


Students who are dismissed from the College of Science and Engineering can appeal their dismissal in writing within a designated period of time after their initial dismissal. These students are asked to provide a detailed explanation of the circumstances that prevented them from meeting the minimum requirements of their probation and description of what will be different if they are reinstated to the College.  


If an appeal is granted to a dismissed student, they are reinstated to the university. Most reinstated students are required to sign an academic contract outlining conditions of their reinstatement and their academic requirements for the following term.

Students may be subject to dismissal if their GPA for the term falls below a 2.00 or 2.50 for two consecutive terms of enrollment after going on probation. Dismissals automatically result in registration cancellation for the next quarter and a full refund of any advance tuition payment. To be reinstated, a student must provide several quarters' evidence of improved academic performance at another institution and obtain a reinstatement letter from the Assistant Dean.

Academic Alerts

Seattle University utilizes an early warning system that is designed to connect struggling students with faculty, advisors, and campus resources. Faculty can submit academic alerts for students in their classes who are not attending regularly or are experiencing urgent personal concerns or issues. If you are issued an academic alert, you will receive notification and be prompted to meet with your academic advisor.

Hardship Withdrawal

After the withdrawal deadline, withdrawal status from classes will only be approved in the case of hardship. A Hardship Withdrawal is granted by the Associate Dean only for reasons relating to death of a family member, catastrophic illness in the family, or an illness and/or an injury to the student. Hardship Withdrawals may be granted for any number of classes in a quarter. In addition, students granted a Hardship Withdrawal may be required to take additional action before being allowed to re-enroll in a following term.

In order to be eligible for a Hardship Withdrawal students must complete the following steps:

  • Complete a Hardship Withdrawal request form. This form can be downloaded from the Office of the Registrar's website. Students should complete the form through the student signature section.
  • Submit a Health Care Statement. This form can be downloaded from the Office of the Registrar's website. Page 1 of this document is required and is your authorization for your health care provider to relay information about your medical situation. Page 2 is optional; a letter from your doctor's office on letterhead is acceptable as a substitute.
  • Email your professors notifying them of your intent to request a Hardship Withdrawal. CC your academic advisor and your student financial services counselor on the email.
  • If you are living in a residence hall, please notify your RA or the Housing office staff of your intent to request a Hardship Withdrawal.

More information about the Hardship Withdrawal policy and process is available under the hyperlink "Withdrawal" on the Academic Policies page. If you intend to pursue a tuition refund, please contact Student Financial Services.