I have an undergraduate degree but it’s not in math or science. I also lack applicable work experience in the health care field. Will this disqualify me from consideration?

Most of our post-bac students come from non-science majors and/or careers. We are typically looking for students who have completed fewer than half of the undergraduate requirements for admission to graduate/professional school in the health sciences. If admitted, you must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours to receive a certificate. Post-bac students are also expected to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 while completing the requisite coursework.

Will the PBPHS Program serve my goals if I have already completed required courses for med school as an undergraduate?

If you have completed all or most of the required undergraduate pre-medical courses you are better served by an “academic record repair” program. This program is a “career changer” program designed for students who have not taken courses before. If you completed the coursework more than five years ago you might be admitted, but these decisions are done on a case by case basis.

Can I repeat individual courses that I’ve completed as an undergraduate?

Courses a student has taken before should only be repeated if they earned a grade of C or lower. If you earned a B- or better it is recommended you take more advanced classes to prove your competency in coursework more closely related to what you would complete at the graduate/professional school level. Students who earned a C+ in a course they wish to repeat will need special approval to enroll in a course.

Does a 3.0 undergraduate GPA automatically disqualify me from consideration into the program?

We have admitted students with less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA, but this is not common. Exceptions have been made in some limited instances under these circumstances:

  • Overall GPA is low but grades in any biology, math, chemistry, or physics courses are good
  • Overall GPA is low, but courses were taken more than five years ago and the student has taken recent math or chemistry and performed well

We are not able to “pre-review” a student’s transcript to comment on the likelihood of success with an application. A full application must be submitted for review.

Despite having a competitive undergraduate GPA, my math and science grades are just average. How much will this impact my chances for admission into the PBPHS program?

Generally speaking, the program expects undergraduate math and science grades to be at 3.0 or above. When you apply to graduate/professional school in the health sciences, the application will report your grade point average in several ways: your overall undergraduate GPA, your undergraduate “science” GPA (all courses in biology, physics, chemistry, and mathematics), your undergraduate non-science GPA, and your post-bac GPA in all of those categories. Post baccalaureate coursework is included in the “undergraduate total” GPA as well as in a separate “post baccalaureate” GPA. Therefore, while it is the case that a PBPHS program will provide an opportunity to take the pre-health pre-requisite courses and demonstrate proficiency and competency in science courses, it is not completely independent of your undergraduate GPA.

Can I use the PBPHS to raise my overall undergraduate GPA before I apply to med school?

We do not admit students seeking to improve their undergraduate GPA, our program is for “career changers.”

What is the acceptance rate for the PBPHS program?

We do not keep separate acceptance information for post-bacs. The five year average for acceptances to medical school for Seattle University students ranges from 80-95%

Can I apply as an international student?

Foreign applicants are cautioned to do significant research on the likelihood of their success applying to US professional schools in the health sciences before applying to any program.

Foreign citizens and future health science school applicants without an undergraduate degree from an U.S. institution may face formidable challenges. It is very difficult for students who are not permanent residents at the time of the application to secure a place in a United States health science medical school and no financial aid is available for students either who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States either for tuition. Additionally, most U.S. medical schools prefer applicants who received their undergraduate training, especially in the pre-medical science, from institutions of higher education in the United States. Some medical schools may only require the pre-medical science requirements be completed in the United States but others may require additional credits from a US institution or a bachelor’s degree earned in the United States.

Can I connect with first-year students prior to my acceptance into the program?

We do not provide student contact information to applicants. Once a student is admitted current students are available to answer questions by individual request.

Can I schedule an appointment with an advisor prior to my acceptance into the program?

Unfortunately, we cannot offer advising appointments to students prior to acceptance.

How can I schedule a campus tour?

Schedule a campus tour HERE

Are there any linkage programs to any medical schools?

We do not have any linkage programs with any medical schools.

Can I attend classes at night?

Classes are only offered during the day.

Is there a student group for Post-Bacs?

Yes, the Post-Bac Pre-Med Student Group is run by student volunteers. The student group arranges social events and community service activities, as well as facilitating study groups, among other things. Post-Bac students may also participate in the Pre-Health club along with other undergraduate students.

How do I find out about Financial Aid?

Questions about financial aid should be addressed to the Student Financial Services

When and how do I register for my courses?

Email notices are made to Post-Bacs when registration is open for a specific term. Registration for your first term of study is done by the Pre-Health Office and subsequent registrations are done by the student through the SUOnline system.

I need to add/drop/withdraw from a course. What do I do?

Students my use add/drop through SUOnline during the add/drop period at the beginning of each term. Withdrawals from courses that occur after the add/drop period closes need to be done with the withdrawal form available on the Registrar’s webpage here. You may consult the academic calendar on the Registrar’s webpage for dates, deadlines, and tuition refund information here.

Who is my advisor?

Rebecca Pazdral is the pre health advisor for Post-Bac students. You can contact her at prehealth@seattleu.edu.