Non-Discrimination Policy

Please visit the University Policy site for the most up-to-date information:

Non Discrimination Policy

Discrimination Complaint Resolution Procedure and Options for Students

At Seattle University we value and celebrate a diverse educational community. We are united in the common goal of teaching and learning, educating for values, preparing for service, and fostering the holistic development of persons. Consistent with our mission and the law, Seattle University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual or political orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in the administration of any of its education and admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletics, and other school-administered policies and programs and employment related polices and activities.

A student who has a concern about possible discriminatory treatment experienced in connection with University programs, services, facilities or activities is encouraged to discuss those concerns with a member of the University community who is trained and able to assist. It is a violation of the University's non-discrimination policy to discriminate or retaliate against any student because he or she has opposed any discriminatory practice proscribed by University policy, or because the student has filed a complaint, testified, assisted, or participated in any manner in any University procedures designed to resolve an allegation of discrimination.

Discrimination Complaint Against the University, a Member of the Faculty, Staff or Administration in Connection with a University Program, Service or Activity

A student who believes that he or she has been discriminated against by the University or by a member of the faculty, staff or administration in connection with a University program, service, facility or activity should bring the concern to the attention of Dr. James Willette, Interim Dean of Students, at 206-296-6066 or Andrea Herrera Katahira, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Equity, at 206-220-8515. They will assist a student to assess the situation and to determine the next course of action. Although some situations can be worked out informally, this is not always the case. Some situations should receive a formal review to determine the most effective course of resolution.

In those instances, a student can make a formal complaint of discrimination, and the situation will be investigated by the University and a determination made. In some instances, the University may decide to conduct an investigation even if the student does not wish to make a formal complaint. If a student is not satisfied with the resolution of a complaint, the student may seek further review from the Vice President of Student Development or Provost as appropriate to the situation.

Discrimination Complaint Against a Student, Student Group or Student Organization

A student who believes that he or she has been discriminated against by a student or student group or organization should bring the concern to the attention of Dr. James Willette, Interim Dean of Students, at 206-296-6066 or Andrea Herrera Katahira, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Equity, at 206-220-8515, who will assist the student in evaluating options to address the situation. The informal and formal procedures for a student to address a concern about discrimination by students or student groups or organizations are described below.

Informal Complaint Procedure

The informal complaint procedure seeks to achieve a resolution upon which both the complainant and the respondent(s) agree. An informal complaint may be oral or in writing, and should be brought to the attention of the Dean of Students. Informal complaints will give the complainant an opportunity to discuss the matter with a neutral third party to clarify whether discrimination may be occurring and to determine his or her options, including the pursuit of more formal action. In some cases, the complainant may ask the Dean of Students or designee to act as a mediator to talk to the other party to determine whether an informal resolution of the issue can be reached.

If resolution by this process is reached, no further action will generally be taken, and the matter will be considered closed. There may be some allegations of discrimination, however, that the University will investigate further despite a request for an informal resolution. In all cases, the Dean of Students will keep a record of the complaint and its resolution.

Formal Complaint Procedure

A student can make a formal complaint without first using the informal complaint procedure. The formal complaint should be in writing and delivered to the Office of the Dean of Students. The formal complaint should include: the offending party's name(s); the times, dates, places, and circumstances surrounding the allegation of discrimination; and the name(s) of any witness(es) to the incident(s).

A representative from the Office of the Dean of Students may, upon request, assist a complainant in preparing a formal complaint. After a review of the formal complaint, the Associate Vice President of Student Development or designee will review relevant student files or records and consult with the complainant, the person(s) against whom the complaint is made, any witnesses, and, as appropriate, with other individuals in an attempt to resolve the matter and determine whether further investigation is warranted. The Associate Vice President of Student Development may investigate further if deemed appropriate.

The Dean of Students has the authority to end a formal investigation at any time. Upon completion of the investigation, the Dean of Students will determine if the complaint merits adjudication and will notify the complainant and respondent(s) in writing of the findings and recommendations. Even where discrimination is not found, the Dean of Students may determine that the conduct is inappropriate or otherwise violates the Code of Student Conduct or University policy. A complainant or respondent dissatisfied with the findings or recommendations may submit a rebuttal statement for inclusion in the investigative file.

In cases warranting adjudication, the Office of the Dean of Students retains the right to determine whether the review will be conducted by the conduct review board or by an administrator designated by the Dean of Students. The proceedings will be conducted in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.