General Questions

What are my rights in the Integrity Formation Process?

Students have the right to: be notified of their rights, be notified in advance of a hearing, respond to the report/complaint, present Witness(s), have an Advisor, and file a request for appeal. See the Step-by-Step process page for more detail.

Who is Involved in the Process?

Section 3 of the Code of Student Conduct and the Who's Who page contain definitions.

What are the Steps to Resolving an Alleged Incident?

See the Step-by-Step process page of the Office of the Dean of Students website.

*For more information about Advisors and Witnesses, please visit the Who's Who page or Section 3 in the Code of Student Conduct. 

General Information

Do I Need an Attorney?

 Attorneys are not permitted to participate in conduct hearings held at Seattle University.

Can Someone Come With Me to the Hearing?

Only an Advisor or Witnesses(es) with first-hand knowledge of the incident can participate in a the hearing. Students must notify their Conduct Administrator or Review Board Chair at least 24 hours before a hearing if they plan to bring either an Advisor or Witness(es). 

How Long Does Seattle University Keep Conduct Records?

Seven years in most cases. After about seven years, records will be deleted. Cases involving suspension, dismissal, and sexual misconduct are kept permanently. See Student Conduct Records for more information.


What is a Hearing Like?

Most hearings are a conversation between a Respondent and a Conduct Administrator. (CA) Some hearings may be Review Board hearings which include at least two other members of the Seattle University community serving on a board. The CA or Review Board Chair will review any report(s), seek the Respondent's perspective, ask questions, and have the Respondent state whether they believe they should be found Responsible or Not Responsible for each alleged violation. 

Can I Reschedule a Hearing?

Conduct Administrators will schedule your hearing around your class/lab schedule. Hearings will only be rescheduled for exigent circumstances, such as illness. To request a rescheduled hearing, please contact your Conduct Administrator or Review Board Chair by email at least 24 hours (or as soon as possible in an emergency) before the hearing time to explain the reason for the request.  

What Happens if I Miss/Choose Not to Attend the Hearing?

If a student does not attend the hearing, the Conduct Administrator or Review Board will conduct the hearing in a their absence and make a determination of responsibility based on the information available at the time of the hearing. The CA will not reschedule a missed hearing.


What are Some Examples of Sanctions?

A reflection, interview, or research paper;

Letter of apology;

Fine, fee, restitution;

Alcohol/drug education or off-campus professional assessment;

Disciplinary Warning or Probation for a specific period of time;

Suspension or dismissal from a residence hall or from the University.

More information regarding Sanctions can be found here.

I Cannot Afford a Fine/Fee; What Should I Do?

Contact your Conduct Administrator before the fine/fee due date to inquire about alternative sanctions or payment plans. Generally, a Conduct Administrator may be able to offer a combination of a reduced amount along with an educational assignment or project. Conduct Administrators cannot negotiate fine/fee alternatives after the due date.

What Happens if I Do Not Complete Sanctions?

A Conduct Administrator will contact you to issue a $50.00 non-compliance fine. If the sanctions are still not completed one week later, the Office of the Dean of Students will place an administrative hold on your account. A hold will prevent you from registering for classes for future terms until the sanctions have been completed. 


What are the Differences Between Fines, Fees, and Restitution?

While not all cases will result in monetary sanctions, they are imposed for some violations. A fine is intended to be a deterrent that emphasizes that the behavior was unacceptable and to prevent its recurrence or for failing to complete sanctions on time. A fee is incurred when an educational program or activity has an associated cost. Restitution is paid to an individual or organization for damages. 

Where Can I Pay My Fine/Fee/Restitution?

Fines and fees can be paid in person in Student Center 140 during business hours. We accept cash, checks made payable to Seattle University, debit/credit cards, and ApplePay. Please note that there is a $1.50 transaction fee for all debit/credit card and ApplePay payments. There is no fee to pay by cash or check.  

What is Fine/Fee Money Used For?

Money from fines and fees is used for programs, events, and student support. Examples include: program fees for eCheckup Online (alcohol/drug education); materials for Teaching Responsible Alcohol Choices workshops; registration for 3 students to attend the National Jesuit Student Leadership Conference; sponsor student presentation at Creating Change Conference; co-Sponsored "Can I Kiss You", "Drag Show", and "Intersectionality Picnic" programs, and; support for basic needs emergencies.

Sexual Misconduct Investigations

How is the Process Different for Sexual Misconduct Allegations?


The University has established a separate process for resolving allegations related to sexual offenses, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. More information is available in Section 4.6 of the Code of Student Conduct. 

What Happens if I Report Sexual Misconduct?


An SU official will notify you of your rights, options, and the resources available to you. You'll receive information about how to file a complaint with local law enforcement if you choose; SU's policy and procedures for sexual misconduct complaints; interim actions that might be available; and, information about preserving evidence and/or obtaining a protective order. 

Where Can I File a Report?

Students can report sexual misconduct to an SU official, law enforcement, or both. Direct on-campus reports to Andrea Katahira, Dr. James Willette, and/or the Department of Public Safety. Learn more about campus resources in our Downloadable Resource Guide for Survivors.*