By the completion of the Certificate in Sport Sustainability Leadership, students should demonstrate specific competencies in these areas:
- Content knowledge specific to the field of sport management. Students will be able to demonstrate a broad conceptual view of leadership and administration of sport organizations. Specifically, students will recognize the scientific underpinnings of the concepts in the discipline (e.g. knowledge, theory, and tools of inquiry), and appreciate the interdisciplinary nature of the study of sport management (e.g. foundational elements from psychology, sociology, business, etc.).
- Discovery and inquiry skills. Specifically, students will observe the world around them, question the status quo, investigate prior knowledge, and network for new ideas.
- Critical thinking skills. Specifically, students will be able to analyze problems and contexts by dissecting them into key elements, meanings and relationships; devise solutions by integrating knowledge and value-based judgment; develop arguments for action through formal and informal assessment strategies.
- Communications skills. Students will be able to use knowledge of effective verbal, nonverbal, and media communication techniques to foster inquiry, collaboration, and engagement in settings specific to the discipline. Specifically, students will be able to listen to others with respect, operate well in teams, and convey ideas effectively in written and oral communications.
- Numeracy. Students will be able to apply and interpret numerical concepts.
- Technology skills. Students will be able to use a variety of technological applications to improve the effectiveness of personal understanding, scholarly pursuits and professional performance.
- Social responsibility by exhibiting leadership with integrity. Students will promote inclusivity in order to improve the quality of life for all individuals.
- Professional and personal growth through lifelong learning. Students will be a reflective professional who actively seeks to further self-knowledge and seeks opportunities to grow at the personal, scholarly and professional level.