Dear Staff and Faculty,
I am pleased to announce that the Cabinet has approved the proposal put forth by the Staff Council Steering Committee to move forward in establishing a Staff Council at Seattle University. The council will be indispensable in amplifying the voice of our staff, helping to set priorities and the way forward for SU, enhancing the university’s culture and strengthening our efforts to be a more diverse and inclusive community.
Reflecting feedback shared by staff members throughout the summer and fall quarters, the approved proposal details a Staff Council of 19 members: seven will be exempt, seven nonexempt, one union representative and four at-large.
The 19 members will represent SU staff as follows (and described in more detail here):
- Six of the members will be staff whose responsibilities are focused on academics (three exempt and three nonexempt).
- Four members will represent staff with a student focus (two exempt, two nonexempt).
- Five members will represent administrative operations staff (two exempt, two nonexempt and one union)
- Four staff will serve as at-large members, allowing the council to best represent diverse and underrepresented voices
A special event is scheduled to launch the Staff Council and officially open the nomination process, Wednesday, Nov. 28, noon to 1:30 p.m., in the LeRoux Conference Room. There will be a brief program and light refreshments. I hope you can attend the celebration.
A committee has been formed to oversee the election of the first staff council members. For continuity purposes, the inaugural council president will be selected from within the Steering Committee. I have been asked to name the first president in consultation with the elections committee. The vice president and secretary will be voted on by the council. After the first year, all executive members will be voted on by the council.
All staff will be invited and encouraged to nominate colleagues to serve on the council. Self-nominations are welcome, too. If this opportunity interests you, please nominate yourself. Watch for more information on how you can get involved in this process. I also encourage those in a supervisory role to be supportive of staff members who are interested in pursuing a seat on the council as their service is supported by the university.
The outstanding work of the Steering Committee, combined with thoughtful input from staff across the university, has resulted in a model that will position the council for success and serve our staff and entire university well in the years to come. I know I speak for my colleagues on the Cabinet in thanking the Steering Committee, whose members are listed below, and in pledging our full support of the Staff Council. I look forward to working with the council to advance the mission and work of the university.
Stephen V. Sundborg, S.J.
Staff Council Steering Committee
- Katie Bowler | Advancement Services Specialist, Advancement Services
- Michelle Clements | Vice President, Human Resources
- Eric Guerra | Associate Athletic Director, Athletics
- Kent Koth | Executive Director, Center for Community Engagement
- Stephanie Lewis | Core Administrative Specialist, University Core
- Mary Lou Moffat | Director, Albers Placement Center
- Lilly Newell | Sr. Administrative Assistant, Office of the Dean & Advising Center, College of Arts and Sciences
- Megan Otis, Co-Chair | Web Support Specialist, Marketing Communications
- Melissa Schade | Fellowships Coordinator, Office of Fellowships
- MK Smith | Director, Enterprise Applications, Information Technology Services
- John Teegarden | Sr. Administrative Assistant, Math Department
- Dion Wade | Director, University Recreation
- Leann Wagele, Co-Chair | Assistant Dean, Dean’s Office at the School of Law