The following information represents many of the common questions Student Financial Services receives from new and continuing undergraduate and graduate students, If unable to locate the information needed, please contact Student Financial Services by:

The FAQs are organized in the following categories:

Types of Financial Aid

Where is there more information about the types of financial aid shown on the award letter?

Individual financial aid funds fall into three categories:

  • Grants and Scholarships: gift aid that does not have to be repaid.
  • Work Study: a work opportunity in which wages are paid for work performed.
  • Loans: low interest educational loans that must be repaid.

How Much Will It Cost?

What does it cost to attend SU?

University costs for tuition, fees, room and board for the upcoming academic year are posted as soon as the Board of Trustees has approved them and are generally available by early March.

While tuition, fees, room and board are a large part of the cost of attending Seattle University, students also incur other costs, such as books, transportation and personal expenses, which are included when calculating eligibility for financial aid. Estimate your cost of attendance and need.

Next Steps

Is there a checklist of items students should complete prior to the beginning of fall quarter classes?

After reviewing the award letter:

  • Follow the instructions received with the award letter to accept, reject or reduce loan(s) and/or work study.
  • Respond to all requests for additional information by logging on to SUOnline.  Go to the Students menu and select "My Documents" in the Status of Required Documents section.  Follow the instructions on the resulting screen(s) to reach the list of required documents, clicking on the link by any document whose status is given as "MISSING" and following the resulting instructions.

What are "Conditions of Award" and why is it important to review and agree to them online?

The Conditions of Award explain a student's rights and responsibilities as a recipient of financial aid. No financial aid will be disbursed to a student's account until the student has logged on to SUOnline, gone to the Students Menu and selected "Conditions of Award" in the Financial Aid to read and agree to those conditions.

After submitting all missing documents and agreeing to the Conditions of Award, what are the next steps?

  • Students should check their SU email account at least weekly for notifications from Student Financial Services of changes in their financial aid awards and/or student account balances.
  • Students should also contact Student Financial Services if their enrollment status changes from that shown on the award letter, if they receive outside scholarships, if there are changes in the student's and/or family's financial circumstances or if changes have been made to the student's FAFSA.

These kinds of changes may change the student's financial aid award and/or require additional information or documentation which will be communicated to the student via his or her SU email account.

  • Once registered for the upcoming quarter, students should log in to SUOnline to review the balance due on their student account any time they receive a revised award letter and/or change their enrollment status for changes in their financial aid.

The Seattle University Invoice

How is the student notified of their total charges for the quarter?

About six weeks prior to the start of fall quarter, notifications are sent to registered students' SU email accounts that their student account invoices are available at SUOnline. Student account invoices for students who are pre-registered for fall quarter will not be available until after July 1. For other quarters, invoices are immediately available after a student pre-registers.

What if the financial aid award is not enough to allow the student to attend SU?

Student Financial Services uses the information submitted on the student's FAFSA, the cost of attendance and any academic scholarship awarded at the time of admission to determine a student's remaining eligibility for funds. Needy students may be awarded a combination of federal, state, and institutional financial aid that may come in the form of grants, work opportunities and loans.

Any scholarships or other funding that become known after an initial aid offer is made will be added to the student's award, along with any required adjustments to financial aid previously offered to accommodate the additional funding. While Seattle University's goal is to close the gap between what it costs to attend Seattle University and the family's ability to provide for these costs, the University is rarely able to fully meet student need.

If a family experiences a change in circumstances due to either a loss of income or unusual expenses to the family or the student, they should contact Student Financial Services to speak with a counselor about the specifics of those circumstances. Beyond any assistance this contact may generate, there are also several student loan programs for which students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can apply. Learn more about loans.

When will the student's financial aid become available?

The student's file must be complete before financial aid will become available. Learn more about when financial aid will become available.

What if financial aid isn't available when needed by the student?

Short term loans are available when unusual circumstances arise which cause a student to need the refund from their student account sooner than it will be available. Learn more about short terms loans.

When is the balance on the Student Account Invoice due?

The balance on a student's account is always due and payable within 14 calendar days of the date of the student's registration or on the scheduled tuition due date for each quarter, whichever is later. Learn more about payment due dates.

What forms of payment are accepted by Seattle University?

SU provides a number of payment methods to accommodate a variety of needs for paying the balance on a student's account. Learn more about how to pay.

What if a student cannot pay the entire balance on his or her student account by the tuition due date?

As part of our commitment to help students to find ways to pay for their education, we offer several payment plan options. Learn more about payment plans.

What if the payment on a student's account is late?

Students are responsible for paying the total amount due on their student accounts by the date tuition is due. This includes ensuring that all financial aid is applied to their student accounts by the first class day of each term. Failure to do this may result in late fees being added to the amount due and a hold being placed on registration for future quarters. Learn more about late payments.

What happens if the student's financial aid award is more than the charges on his or her student account?

Having quarterly financial aid that exceeds the charges on the student's account will result in a credit balance that will be returned to the student.  We strongly recommend that students authorize direct deposit so any credit balance will be electronically deposited directly to their bank accounts. If direct deposit isn't established, credit balance checks will be sent to the mailing address of record as shown at SUOnline on the Student Menu by clicking "Change Address" in the User Account section.  The student can also update his or her mailing address here, as needed.

How is direct deposit authorized for a student's account?

If the student's quarterly financial aid exceeds the charges on his or her student account, the student may authorize the excess to be electronically deposited directly to a bank account by completing the "1139b3c3" and submitting it to Student Financial Services.  It's important to allow 14 calendar days for processing. Once the process has been activated, all financial aid due to the student after the charges on his or her student account have been paid, will be directly deposited to the student-designated bank account.

Financial Aid for Subsequent Years

Will the student's financial aid award for subsequent years be the same as their initial year award?

Seattle University guarantees the amount of institutional gift aid incoming undergraduates receive as long as certain criteria are met. Learn more about the institutional gift aid guarantee.

What is needed in order to continue to be eligible to receive financial aid?

To be eligible to continue to receive financial aid the student must:

  1. Make Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  2. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.
  3. For the institutional gift aid guarantee to remain in force, the student must be continuously enrolled at Seattle University. Learn more about this on the SFS site.

Additional Useful Information

What if the student's family's current financial situation changes and is significantly different from what was reported on the FAFSA?

If the family's financial situation has changed, the Student Financial Services Office will review the circumstances to determine if the student may qualify for additional financial aid. Learn more about changes in financial circumstances.

What if the student receives a scholarship from an organization or individual other than Seattle University?

An outside or private scholarship is a scholarship that is not awarded by SU. This type of scholarship is awarded by an outside organization to the student to be applied to educational expenses billed by Seattle University.  On the award letter this scholarship is referred to as a "Private Outside Scholarship." If the student receives an outside scholarship and it is not already included on their award letter, they must notify Student Financial Services as soon as possible so it can be included in calculating eligibility for financial aid and the award letter revised if necessary. Learn more about outside scholarships.

Why is SU asking for tax return documentation for the student and their family?

In a number of cases, the Department of Education's FAFSA processor selects a student's FAFSA for a process called "Verification."  When this occurs, the information reported on the FAFSA needs to be verified against IRS tax information for the same year reported on the FAFSA.  This is a federal requirement with which Seattle University must comply.  The Student Financial Services Office contacts all students whose FAFSAs have been selected for verification with instructions about how to complete the FAFSA verification process.

Is financial aid available for summer?

Summer Quarter financial aid is very limited. Learn more about Summer Quarter aid.

Are parents of an SU student able to access their student's financial aid information and educational records?

Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) no one ... not even a student's parents, not even if they are the ones paying the bill ... can have access to the student's educational records, including their financial aid information, unless the student has authorized that access. Seattle University provides students the ability to provide authorization for their parents and/or other third-parties to access their educational information on their behalf.  Learn more about third-party access to information.

How does the Campus Card work?

Each student at Seattle University is issued a Campus Card which in addition to functioning as picture ID also provides access to buildings on campus including the library and residence halls.  It also has two monetary accounts:  a debit (or miscellaneous) account and a food account.  Learn more about the Campus Card.

What if the student moves?

Students who move should notify the Student Financial Services Office of their updated contact information. While Student Financial Services generally contacts students using their SU email address, at times we may need to reach them by phone or letter. Therefore, it's critical that students keep their contact information up to date by logging on to SUOnline and using "Change Address" in the "User Account" section of the menu.

Are students required to carry SU's student health insurance?

Seattle University requires that all undergraduate students enrolled full-time have health insurance either by purchasing the insurance made available by SU or providing confirmation that the student has comparable insurance in force. International students are required to purchase health insurance. Graduate students may purchase health insurance if desired. Learn more about health insurance.

What happens if students drop or withdraw from some or all of their classes?

Dropping or withdrawing from classes can have significant negative consequences for financial aid recipients. Therefore, while there is good, general information on the Student Financial Services website, it is strongly recommended that students  contact a Student Financial Aid Counselor before actually taking this step. Learn more about withdrawing from classes.

What happens if students leave SU and then decide they want to return after being away?

As undergraduates, students must be continuously enrolled to maintain eligibility for their academic scholarships and/or institutional gift aid guarantees. Beyond that, undergraduate and graduate students continue to be able to register for four consecutive quarters after their last quarter of registration.

On the fifth quarter of consecutive non-attendance, students are no longer allowed to register until they have submitted a readmission application to the Admissions Office and are readmitted.

Are there any bank branches located close to campus?

There are many banks in the Seattle area. Contact information for several of those that are near the SU campus is listed below:

  • US Bank: 1001 Madison Street, Unit 1, 206.621.8585
  • Key Bank: 1224 Madison Street, 206.447.5758
  • Bank of America: 1300 E. Madison, 206.358.2055
  • Wells Fargo: 1317 Madison Street, 206.322.2671