Question: How do I request a letter of reference from a professor?
Answer: Follow these easy steps.
Step 1: Select a professor who knows you well.
Step 2: Contact this professor to arrange a time to meet in person to discuss the opportunity.
Step 3: If the professor agrees to write you a letter, send them the following items (some may not apply depending on the opportunity):
- Your draft personal statement for your application.
- A copy of your college transcript (an unofficial photocopy is okay).
- A sample of the best written work that you submitted in one of my classes.
- Your résumé. For assistance, visit our Career Development Center in Pavilion 110.
- A complete list of schools or organizations to which you are applying, along with due dates and mode of application (for example, by printed letter, electronic application).
- A signed and dated Reference_Latter_Request7620.