The office of Environmental Health and Safety develops and implements a proactive safety program to ensure the university is in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and codes governing environmental safety.
It maintains, conducts, and coordinates campus-wide environmental safety training programs for staff. The coordinator writes safety plans, procedures, maintains safety testing equipment, and conducts environmental testing on current and future university properties. The coordinator also provides information on the storage, use, and disposal of hazardous materials.
Requests for the following specific services can be entered here. For emergencies please call the Resource Center at (206) 296-6996. You may also contact Chip Romain directly if you need to discuss the situation or prefer that it remain confidential.
- Enforces safe working standards
- Conducts safety orientations for new employees
- Prepares written programs and conducts presentations on safety in the work place
- Provides safety equipment to staff as needed and requested
- Participates in the accident prevention plan
- Conducts ergonomic assessments
- Reviews new construction and renovation plans for safety and health concerns
Lab and Materials Safety
- Reviews laboratory safety plans
- Maintains campus materials safety data sheets
- Develops a safety program for hazardous materials
Americans with Disabilities Act
- Addresses Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) issues
- Serves as compliance officer for the university
- Inspects existing university structures and sites for environmental quality
- Coordinates and oversees the work of consultants hired to conduct environmental audits
- Oversees campus-wide pest solutions
- Evaluates outdoor locations as designated by the university smoking policy
- Serves as a member of the Campus Safety Committee
- Partners with Public Safety in the development of the campus emergency response plan
Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator