Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA)


Health & Emergency

Washington Basic Health Care Plan

1220 Eastside SE, PO Box 9014
Olympia, WA 98504
Toll Free: +1-800-826-2444
For people under age 65 who do not qualify for Medicare and are low income. Covers doctor care, hospital care, lab and emergency care.

Medicaid (through SSI)

Toll Free: +1-800-772-1213
TTY: +1-800-325-0778
Web: www.ssa.gov
Youth with disabilities may qualify for SSI at age 18 and therefore receive Medicaid based on their income (not parents) and disability. Medicaid pays for mandatory health services. In Washington, it also covers optional services.

Healthcare for Workers with Disabilities (HWD)

Toll Free: +1-866-272-7630
Web: www.dshs.wa.gov/onlinecso/hwd.shtml
HWD is a Medicaid buy-in program for people with disabilities who work. The worker pays a small monthly fee (premium) based on his/her income.

Regional Support Networks -- County Mental Health Crisis Lines Mental Health Division

PO Box 45320
Olympia WA 98504-5320
Phone: +1-360-902-8070

The Department of Social and Health Services provides care and treatment for people with severe and recurring mental illnesses and children with serious emotional disturbance and the families, operates a crisis response system for all of Washington's citizens, regulates the individuals that provide mental health services and develops mental health policy for all providers. County government agencies and 145 private and non-profit organizations, supported by state and federal money, provide treatment for most of Washington's children with mental illnesses. The agencies are organized into 14 Regional Support Networks.

Multicare Home Care

315 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Tacoma, WA 98405
Phone: +1-253-572-2323
Composed of six divisions: Transitional Care/Case Management, Adult Day Programs, Home Health Care, Maternal/Child Programs, In-Home Infusion Therapy, Hospice and Palliative Care, Grief and Loss Counseling.

CHCDS Heath Care Clinics Central Office for Clinics

Phone: +1-253-597-4550
Provides fairly comprehensive care to low-income persons and are open 40 hours per week. For information about patient eligibility and services provided call Central Office for clinic numbers. They will accept medical coupons and Basic Health Insurance Plans.

Mulitcare Home Health

P.O. Box 5200
Tacoma, WA 98415-0200
Phone: +1-253-403-1825
Teams of registered and licensed practical nurses, therapists, social workers, dietitians and home health aides offer individualized care for patients of all ages, and training and support for patients and caregivers.

Tacoma Pierce County Health Department/Community Health Nurses

3629 South D Street
Tacoma, WA 98408
Phone: +1-253-798-6403
Offers assessment, education and early intervention by community health nurses. Provides comprehensive health counseling to prenatal clients and to parents of children in the home and community. Prevention services primarily target low income and environmentally at-risk families.

Children with Special Health Care Needs: Mary Bridge Children's Health Center

311 South L Street
Tacoma, WA 98405
Phone: +1-253-403-1265
Focuses on family centered, community based services for children to age 17. Community Health Nurses can help identify needs. Linked to available community resources and coordinate health care services.

Community Health Care Adult Dental Clinic

1215 S. 11th Street
Tacoma, WA
Phone: +1-253-572-7002
Provides exams, x-rays, fillings and some root canals. They offer services to children and adults on DSHS.

Pierce College Dental Hygiene Clinic

9401 Far West Drive SW
Tacoma, WA
Phone: +1-253-964-6694
Open to the general public. Services are limited to exams, e-rays and cleaning. Fees are reasonable. Medical coupons accepted.

DSHS Mental Health Division

Phone: +1-360-902-8070
Toll Free: +1-800-446-0259
The Mental Health Division of Washington State operates a system of care in the state for those people with the greatest need and least ability to meet that need. The system focuses on those with the most profound mental illnesses or mental health crises who do not have the personal financial resources to access care.

Pierce County Mental Health Administrations

215 South 36th Street
Tacoma, WA 98418
Phone: +1-253-798-4926
Plans and administers state funded programs for children and adults with severe persistent mental illness. Manages the Medicaid managed care program. Direct services are provided by contracts with non-profit agencies.

Return to top


Common Ground

110 Prefontaine Pl. S. #504
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: +1-206-461-4500
Nonprofit consulting firm specializing in low-income and special needs housing development. Their mission is to create and preserve decent housing for people with low income and special needs throughout Washington State.


920 Park Avenue
Bremerton, WA 98337
Phone: +1-360-377-7231
Toll Free: +1-888-844-7231
Private, non-profit community development corporation.

Families for Residential Choices (FFRC)

521 2nd Ave. W
Seattle, WA 98119
Phone: +1-206-281-5700
Toll Free: +1-800-678-5708
Organization of parents interested in long-term housing issues for adults with developmental disabilities or brain injury.

Group Action for Peninsula People (GAPP)

P.O. Box 1003
Wauna, WA 98395
Phone: +1-253-857-7183
Vision is to assure that people with developmental disabilities will be able to live productive lives in their communities, and to facilitate Person Centered Planning activities and support of individuals and their families.

Housing and Employment Link Program (HELP)

6315 S. 19th Street
Tacoma, WA 98466
Phone: +1-253-565-9000
Toll Free: +1-877-538-2243
Assists persons with disabilities in locating housing that is accessible and affordable.

Pierce County Department of Community Services, Housing Program

Phone: (253) 798-7038
Provides information and counseling regarding housing issues. Counseling services are free and confidential.

Pierce County -- Puyallup Housing Authority

603 Polk Street / PO Box 45410
Tacoma, WA 98445
Phone: +1-253-620-5400
Section 8 and Rental Assistance Program providing assistance with rent for low income families.

Supportive Housing Association

407 14th Ave. SE / P.O. Box 769
Puyallup, WA 98371
Phone: +1-253-845-9099
Develops special needs housing through partnerships with private and public developers. Offers sponsorship of special needs housing for developmentally disabled people.

Tacoma Housing Authority

902 South L Street, Suite 1-A
Tacoma, WA 98405
Phone: +1-253-207-4400
Provides affordable housing for families, elderly, or persons with a disability with low to moderate income.

US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

909 First Avenue, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: +1-206-220-5140
Listing of available houses or apartments with subsidies available. Group home referral and grant funds/811 Program.

Return to top

Postsecondary Education

Clover Park Technical College

Web: www.cptc.edu  

Bates Technical College

Web: https://batestech.edu 

Pierce College

Web: www.pierce.ctc.edu  

Pacific Lutheran University

Web: www.plu.edu  

Renton Technical College

Web: https://rtc.edu/  

Tacoma Community College

Web: www.tacomacc.edu  

University of Puget Sound

Web: www.pugetsound.edu  

University of Washington -- Tacoma Campus

Web: www.tacoma.uw.edu  

Job Corps

Web: https://www.jobcorps.gov/

Return to top

Recreation & Leisure

Special Olympics

10828 Gravelley Lake Drive, Suite 204
Tacoma, WA 98499
Phone: +1-206-362-4949
Toll Free: +1-888-577-3934 ; +1-800-752-7559
Provides training and competition opportunities for developmentally disabled youth in 19 Olympic-style sports, including aquatics, athletics, bowling, gymnastics, soccer, etc.

Community Pathways Program

33901 9th Ave. S
Federal Way, WA 98002
Phone: +1-253-661-4167
Cooperative program between Highline Community College and City of Federal Way. This program offers one-on-one evaluations to help meet recreation needs of individuals. Resource information geared toward individuals with developmental disabilities.

Easter Seals Washington Camping and Respite

17809 S. Vaughn Road / P.O. Box 289
Vaughn, WA 98394
Phone: +1-253-884-2722
Web: wa.easterseals.com
Camping and respite care programs for individuals with disabilities.

Equest Special Riders, Inc.

Phone: +1-253-531-6549
Provides special therapy for people with mental and physical disabilities. Call for information and fees.

Greater Lakewood Activities for the Developmentally Disabled (G.L.A.D.D.)

936 Daniel's Drive
Fircrest, WA 98466
Phone: +1-253-565-4800
GLADD holds monthly dances at the South Park Community Center for developmentally disable adults. The dances are the third Friday of each month from 7:00PM - 9:00PM with a dollar donation suggested.

Metro Parks Specialized Recreation

4806 South 66th
Tacoma, WA 98409
Phone: +1-253-591-5314
Provides recreation programs for people with special needs. Activities include sports, trips, social groups, vacation trips and special events. Call for more detailed information and/or a brochure.

Northwest Equicare

9009 366th Street E
Eatonville, WA 98328
Phone: +1-360-832-6386
Offers therapeutic horseback riding for adults and children with disabilities.

Pierce County Parks and Recreation

9112 Lakewood Dr. SW, Suite 121
Lakewood, WA 98499
Phone: +1-253-798-4176
Provides Pierce County citizens with opportunities for recreation and leisure activities.

Tacoma Area Coalition of Individuals with Disabilities (TACID)

6315 South 19th Street
Tacoma, WA 98465
Phone: +1-253-565-9000
Web: www.tacid.org
Provides services for individuals with disabilities including the M Society, Housing Advocate Program, deaf services, sign language interpretation, visually impaired/blind programs, independent living training, peer support groups and health awareness instruction.

YMCA Recreation/Therapy for the Disabled

1002 South Pearl Street
Tacoma, WA 98465-2198
Phone: +1-253-564-9622
Programs provided include adult CP swim, modified aquatic exercise, MS hydrotherapy, Back for Life, cardiac therapy, summer therapy program, and adapted aquatics.

Return to top 


DSHS Medical Coupon Transportation

Toll Free: +1-800-925-5438
If a person is unable to use public transportation and has a medical emergency, they may use medical coupons to pay for a taxi or cabulance. Prior approval necessary.

Regional Transport Services

8311 South Durango St. SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
Phone: +1-253-584-5226
Toll Free: +1-800-925-5428
DSHS Medical Coupon Transportation. Provides customized transportation for group excursions, private transportation services and provides and/or arranges transportation for medical appointments.

Pierce Transit: Shuttle for the Disabled

3701 96th Street SW
Tacoma, WA 98499-0070
Phone: +1-253-581-8100
Web: www.piercetransit.org
Provides transportation by both fixed route and specialized services to individuals with disabilities.

Cabulance Service

3101 South 36th
Tacoma, WA 98409
Phone: +1-253-473-7444
Provides wheelchair transportation.

Catholic Community Services

1323 South Yakima
Tacoma, WA 98405-4457
Phone: +1-253-502-2735
Toll Free: +1-800-372-3697
Provides non-medical in-home care services and transportation to elderly and disabled adults.

Mobility Systems, Inc.

6015 160th Ave. E
Sumner, WA 98390
Phone: +1-253-863-4744
Provides a comprehensive group of services for drivers and passengers who require special assistance. Offers a full line of adaptive equipment from wheelchair lifts to hand controls.

Northwest Services for Independent Living

2607 Bridgeport Way West, Suite 2-A
University Place, WA 98466
Phone: +1-253-565-2550
Provides tenant support for developmentally disabled people living in their own home or apartment; helps people live independently including transportation.

Northwest Transport, Inc.

22201 Marine View Drive S, Suite A
Des Moines, WA 98198
Phone: +1-206-824-7977
Toll Free: +1-800-600-9225
Provides non-emergency medical transportation for wheelchair and ambulatory clients. Available on a 24 hour basis, 7 days a week. Serves the Puget Sound area.

Salvation Army/Tacoma

6th Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98401
Phone: +1-253-572-8452
Provides social services including transportation.

Return to top