Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA)


Health & Emergency

Washington Basic Health Care Plan

1220 Eastside SE PO Box 9014
Olympia, WA 98504
Toll Free: (800) 826-2444
For people under age 65 who do not qualify for Medicare and are low income; covers doctor care, hospital care, lab and emergency care.

Medicaid (through SSI)

Toll Free: (800) 772-1213
TTY: (800) 325-0778
Youth with disabilities may qualify for SSI at age 18 and therefore receive Medicaid based on the individual's income (not parents) and disability. Medicaid pays for mandatory health services. In Washington, it also covers optional services.

Healthcare for Workers with Disabilities (HWD)

Phone: (866) 272-7630
HWD is a Medicaid buy-in program for people with disabilities who work. The worker pays a small monthly fee (premium) based on his/her income.

Regional Support Networks - County Mental Health Crisis Lines Mental Health Division

PO Box 45320
Olympia WA 98504-5320
Phone: +1-360-902-8070

The Department of Social and Health Services provides care and treatment for people with severe and recurring mental illnesses and children with serious emotional disturbance and the families, operates a crisis response system for all of Washington's citizens, regulates the individuals that provide mental health services and develops mental health policy for all providers. County government agencies and 145 private and non-profit organizations, supported by state and federal money, provide treatment for most of Washington's children with mental illnesses. The agencies are organized into 14 Regional Support Networks.

Island Hospital

1211 24th Street
Anacortes, WA 98221
Phone: (360) 299-1300, (360) 336-5759

Whidbey Health Medical Center

101 N. Main St
Coupeville, WA 98239
Phone: (360) 678-5151
Toll Free: (888) 903-2345

Cascade Valley Hospital

330 S. Stillaguamish
Arlington, WA 98223
Phone: (360) 435-2133

Crisis Line for Families / Children in Conflict

Phone: (360) 321-1313
Toll Free: (800) 794-9402 (After Hours)

Dental Access Program

14594 SR 525
Langley, WA 98260
Phone: (360) 321-1600, (360) 678-3373
Offers a discount (25%) for dental services for persons with disabilities or age 65 and older. Offered by the Washington State Dental Association. Local dentists participate. Call for more details.

Community Resource Center - The Opportunity Council

1791 NE 1st Avenue
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Phone: (360) 679-6577
Toll Free: (800) 317-5427
Connects people with community resources to meet basic needs such as food, housing (including requests for emergency shelter), rental assistance and referrals for affordable housing. Call or walk-in appointments.
Hours: 9:00AM - 4:00PM

North Whidbey Community Clinic / North Whidbey Community Dental Clinic

1791 NE First Avenue
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Phone: (360) 679-5590
Toll Free: (888) 279-8031
Primary Health Care for individuals and families of low to moderate income. Primary dental care particularly to persons of low to moderate income.

Good Cheer Food Bank - South Whidbey

114 Anthes
Langley, WA 98260
Phone: (360) 221-6454
Uses poverty guidelines, but also responds to emergency food needs.
Hours: Monday-Saturday: 10:00AM - 12:00Noon, 1:00PM - 3:30PM

Help House Food Bank

Phone: (360) 675-0681
Food bank and telephone reassurance calls. Must live between Deception Pass and Bakken Rd in Greenbank.
Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00AM - 12:00Noon, 1:00PM - 4:00PM

Return to top


Common Ground

110 Prefontaine Place S #504
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 461-4500
Non-profit consulting firm specializing in low-income and special needs housing development. Their mission is to create and preserve decent housing for people with low income and special needs throughout Washington State.

Housing Authority of Island County

Phone: (360) 678-4181 (Coupeville)
Toll Free: (800) 321-0686

Return to top 

Postsecondary Education

Bellingham Technical College 


Everett Community College


Skagit Valley College


Job Corps


Return to top 

Recreation & Leisure

Special Olympics

Toll Free: (800) 752-7559
Provides training & competition opportunities for developmentally disabled youth in 19 Olympic style sports, including aquatics, athletics, bowling, gymnastics, soccer, etc.

South Whidbey Youth Center

208 Melsen Alley / PO Box 331
Langley, WA 98260
Phone: (360) 221-3230
To prepare youth by developing leadership and life skills. To celebrate youth by providing innovative programs and a safe place to socialize. To offer support, acceptance and a sense of purpose. To build coalitions which advocate for youth, family, and community.

Island County 4-H/WSU Coop Extension

1 NE 5th Street
Coupeville, WA 98239
Phone: (360) 679-7328, (360) 321-5111 (Ext 328)

Boy Scouts of America

Phone: (360) 734-3940, (206) 338-0380

Girl Scouts

759 SE 4th Avenue
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Phone: (360) 675-5161


1182 W Pioneer Way
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Phone: (360) 675-2771


PO Box 334
Langley, WA 98260
Phone: (360) 221-7656
Therapeutic horseback riding may benefit persons of most ages or disability. HOPE is a member operating center of the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association.

Big Brothers/Sisters

845 SE Ireland Street / PO Box 1233
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Phone: (360) 279-0644
Toll Free: (888) 840 4794
A non-profit agency dedicated to developing one to one friendships between caring adult volunteers and a boy or girl who is in need of a consistent role model.

Return to top


DSHS Medical Coupon Transportation

 If a person is unable to use public transportation and has a medical emergency, they may use medical coupons to pay for a taxi or cabulance prior approval necessary.

Island Transit

Phone: (360) 678-7771 (Oak Harbor)
Phone: (360) 321-6688 (S Whidbey)
Phone: (360) 387-7433 (Camano)
Toll Free: (800) 240-8747
Free public transportation throughout Island County; connecting service in Skagit County

Skagit Transit (SKAT)

Phone: (360) 757-4433 (Burlington), (360) 299-2424 (Anacortes)
Commuter transit service is offered daily between points in Oak Harbor, Fidalgo Island, Burlington, and Mt Vernon by SKAT and Island Transit. Call for details.

Island County Volunteer Chore and Medical Transportation

Phone: (360) 678-4886 (Langley), (360) 387-0222 (Camano)
Volunteers provide transportation for medical or other essential needs and chore services. Contact Senior Services of Island County.

Washington State Ferries

Toll Free: (800) 84-FERRY, (888) 808-7977

Return to top