Dear Faculty and Staff,
I am pleased to announce that Wilson Garone has been appointed Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Wilson brings three decades of experience as an accomplished leader and finance professional. He will begin his service at Seattle University on August 1.
Born and raised in Brazil to a family that included numerous professors, Wilson often imagined working at a university. Even as he took a different path, his appreciation for the impact of higher education has stayed with him. Wilson looks forward both professionally and personally to serving our university community and its mission.
Wilson’s career has been in the business world, most notably Microsoft, where he worked for more than 20 years until last year. As finance leader of the Sales, Marketing and Services Group—Microsoft’s largest division—Wilson directed all financial matters and oversaw $100 billion in operations. In this and the other roles he has had, including his current position as interim CFO of a technology startup, Wilson has been recognized as a strategic, innovative and collaborative leader. He embodies a deep appreciation for the importance of community, inclusion and belonging. In addition to other accomplishments and initiatives, he led Microsoft’s Hispanic/Latino Community as executive sponsor and created the Finance Community Impact Project, which provides technology and partnerships to benefit students in countries such as India, Kenya, Costa Rica and Malaysia.
As we await his arrival at SU, Wilson asked me to convey the following message to you:
"I’m thrilled to join Seattle University as the new CFO. I want to thank Father Steve and the CFO Search Committee for their time leading this search. I’d also like to thank Andrew O’Boyle for his leadership as interim CFO and the entire Finance team for stepping up during this time of transition. I’m very humbled by the quality of people from faculty, staff and students that I met during the recruiting process, and I’m honored to be joining their ranks. I’m committed to be a learner as I transition from the business world to higher education; I’m committed to be a supporter of Seattle University’s mission and live its values every day. I believe, together, we can work on challenges and explore opportunities, in alignment with the Jesuit mission, and the result will be worthy of both the legacy of Seattle University and the amazing future of its students."
I am grateful to the committee, whose members are listed below, for leading the search that has culminated in Wilson’s appointment. Thanks also to everyone who took the time to attend the open forum sessions and provide feedback throughout the search process. And finally, let me especially thank Associate Vice President for Finance and Investments Andrew O’Boyle for his exceptional service as interim CFO these past several months and until the end of July.
As we navigate the opportunities and challenges of a changing higher education landscape with its critical financial aspects, deepen our commitment to inclusive excellence and advance in our Jesuit mission, Wilson’s background, experience and values are what Seattle University needs at this time. I am grateful for his accepting this role of leadership. Please join me in warmly welcoming him into our community.
Stephen V. Sundborg, S.J.
CFO Search Committee
- Michelle Clements, Co-Chair, Vice President for Human Resources
- Joe Phillips, Co-Chair, Dean, Albers School of Business and Economics
- Sarah Bee, Senior Instructor, Accounting, Albers School of Business and Economics
- Bob Blais, Trustee
- Katie Bowler, Advancement Services Specialist, University Advancement
- Annette Clark, Dean, School of Law
- Alex Dempster, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Bob Dullea, Vice President for Planning, Vice Provost
- Michelle Etchart, Assistant Vice President, Student Development
- Shaney Fink, Athletic Director
- Di Di Galligar, Assistant Provost for Business and Faculty Administration
- Patrick Gordon, IT Project Manager
- Russell Hagen, Trustee
- Hye-Kyung Kang, Chair and Associate Professor, Master of Social Work, College of Arts and Sciences
- Tim Leary, Executive Vice President
- Anne Moran, Executive Assistant to the President, CFO Search Support
- Jose Armando Munguia, Graduate Student Representative
- Melore Nielsen, Dean of Admissions, Enrollment Management
- Andrew O’Boyle, Associate Vice President, Finance and Business Affairs
- Rob Schwartz, Associate Vice President, Facilities
- Ivette Serna, Director, University Budget Office
- Frank Shih, Associate Professor, College of Science and Engineering; President, Academic Assembly