If you have students who have extended time on assignments as an approved accommodation, here are the steps you need to take in Canvas.
If you have students who have extended time on exams as an approved accommodation, and you are delivering your exams using Canvas Quizzes, here are the steps you need to take in Canvas.
Please note: The below instructions are for "Classic Quizzes" in Canvas. If you are using "New Quizzes" instead, see the Canvas documentation on how to add accommodations for a student in New Quizzes.
1. Navigate to your Quiz and enter the edit mode selecting the Edit button for the quiz.
2. Begin with setting the time limit that applies to all the students. Select the Time Limit checkbox under Options and enter the number of minutes students will have to complete the quiz.
3. Enter a due date for the quiz in the Due field.
4. In the Assign section of the Quiz detail edit page, you can add an optional availability timeframe in the Available from and Until fields. If you do this, the availability timeframe defined in your Quiz's Available from and Until fields must be long enough to accommodate your students' additional time needs. For this reason, we recommend that you use one of the options below to ensure that your students successfully receive the additional time directed by their academic accommodations:
5. Save your changes, then return to the quiz detail page. You will need to Publish the quiz before you can enter the Moderate This Quiz link to edit the amount of time specific students receive on the quiz. Note: If you don't want your students to be able to see the quiz when you Publish, enter a future date and time in the "Available from" date on the quiz Edit page.
6. Select the Moderate This Quiz link in the Related Items in the sidebar of the Quiz detail page.
7. Select the checkbox to the left to the student you want to change the time limit for, then click on the pencil icon on the far right for the selected student to "Change user extensions."
If you have multiple students with the same accommodations, select the check box next to each student. Then click the link at the bottom of the list of students that reads "Change Extensions for (number of) Selected Students."
8. Enter the amount of extended time under Extra time on every attempt and click Save.
9. The amount of extended time the student has on the quiz will now appear under their name. You can now unpublish the quiz and change the Available From date if you like---and your Moderate Quiz settings will remain saved.
CDLI is working on expanding our resources on accessibility. Please check back here for more in the future.