Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Seattle University is committed to making sure you have the support you need to succeed. Therefore, we have easy-to-follow policies for students who have a service animal or emotional support animal that they need to bring to campus.

Service Animals As defined by the ADA, a service animal is a dog that has been trained to perform an active task that mitigates or partially mitigates the impact of the handler’s disability. If a service animal’s role is not apparent to an observer, you might be asked two questions: “Is that a service animal for a disability?” and “What service/tasks does it perform for you?” Service animals generally do not require any contact with Disability Services.

Emotional Support Animals

Under the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Rules, emotional support animals include dogs and other animals, that provide passive support that mitigates, in full or part, an impact of a person’s disability, allowing them to benefit from Seattle University’s Housing and Residence Life programs and services. An emotional support animal can be requested and approved by Disability Services (DS) for Seattle University Housing and Residence Life.

Requesting an Emotional Support Animal Accommodation

If you are requesting an emotional support animal, you should complete the following steps prior to moving into the residence hall. If you’re living in the Douglas Apartments and Vi Hilbert Hall, please talk to your property manager.

  1. Download the Service Animal and ESA Guidelines form found on Disability Services > Housing Accommodations. This form is to be completed by a health or mental health care provider and submitted to Disability Services.
  2. Make an appointment with Disability Services to discuss the accommodation.
  3. You will receive notification from Disability Services if request for an “emotional support animal in residence” is approved or denied. Disability Services may also request additional information if the initial Emotional Support Animal Request for Information form doesn’t provide the necessary information.
  4. If request for an “emotional support animal in residence” is approved, vaccination records and/or an attestation from a veterinarian that the animal is in good health and verification of pet license per King County/Seattle requirements needs to be submitted to Disability Services.
  5. You will make an appointment with Housing and Residence Life staff to review animal care in the Housing Office in Campion 100.

Expectations after your assignment has been made and before move-in:

  1. You will need to submit to Disability Services a vet report of good health/vaccination and proof that the animal is licensed with the City of Seattle.
  2. Final approval given for animal to come into residence by Seattle University HRL after animal care expectation meeting and vet report/licensing has been shared to Disability Services.
  3. All steps must be completed prior to animal arrival. If you bring an animal on campus prior to obtaining permission, you may be asked to remove the animal from campus.

Animal Care and Conduct

All animals are the responsibility of their handlers and should be under their control (in proximity to the handler and responsive to commands, in harness, leashed or in a carrier).

  • An emotional support animal or service animal must be housebroken and under owners’ control (voice or tether) at all times.
    • Puppy rearing which focuses on socialization and general obedience training may not qualify as housebroken.
  • Emotional support animals must not be left alone for extended periods of time. It is the responsibility of the handler to arrange for care for the animal if the handler will be away from the animal overnight.
  • All waste from emotional support animals or service animals must be disposed of in outside receptacles.

An animal’s behavior is considered the handler’s behavior; the animal will be held to the same basic standard of conduct as its handler. If the animal is disruptive to university business or community behavioral expectations for educational, medical, and residential environments, you may be asked to correct the animal’s behavior or remove it from the environment.

We’re Here For You

For information about housing and dining, contact us Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Housing and Residence Life

Campion Hall 100, 901 12th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122