Housing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

Learn how to request housing accommodation for students with disabilities, as well as any deadlines that might apply to your request.

Disability-related housing accommodations are modifications to the residential environment for students whose disabilities substantially limit their ability to participate in residential and housing life. If you are requesting disability-based housing accommodations, you will need to meet with Disability Services staff and provide documentation supporting your request and disability-related needs. 
See Documentation Guidelines for disability documentation requirements.

Accommodations for housing are approved on a case-by-case basis and are dependent on the nature of the disability and/or health condition as well as the impact on the campus living environment. Disability Services works in partnership with Housing and Residence Life to provide accommodations that meet your individual needs. 

Disability Services asks the Housing and Residence Life office to place you in any room that can fulfill the accommodation needs of that student. Disability Services does not ask HRL to place you in a particular residence hall building or room as an housing accommodation.

Single rooms are not granted solely based on a need for quiet study space. Residence halls are designed as living spaces. If you need very quiet environments for study, you should seek other places on campus that are designated as quiet study areas.

You should contact Disability Services as soon as possible because timely notice is needed to coordinate accommodations.
Disability Services
Loyola 100
Phone 1-206-296-5740

New Students Applying for Housing Accommodation

If you are new to Seattle University and applying for housing, you should note your intention to request housing accommodations on the application form.  You will need to meet with staff in Disability Services, Loyola Hall suite 100,  and provide documentation of your condition and resulting needs. See Documentation Guidelines for disability documentation requirements.

Current Students Applying for Housing Accommodation

  • If you are currently receiving accommodations for disability-based needs, you should notify HRL staff of a request to continue accessing the same accommodation in the next year during the room selection process.
  • If you want to request accommodations or make changes to your necessary accommodations, you should take a look at Documentation Guidelines for disability documentation requirements. After delivering the documentation, you will be asked to make an appointment to discuss your needs with a Disabilities Services staff member.
  • All requests and any required documents must be submitted to Disability Services by March 1st for the room selection process.

The information provided to Disability Services will be shared only with other relevant staff in a discreet and confidential manner. It will be used only as permitted under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. This information will also have no bearing on your general eligibility for housing.

Housing accommodations for disabilities may take time to arrange, and Housing and Residence Life receives many such requests. For this reason, it is important that accommodation requests for pre-existing conditions be made at the time of application or as soon as possible in the annual room selection process.

We’re Here For You

For information about housing and dining, contact us Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Housing and Residence Life

Campion Hall 100, 901 12th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122