On-Campus Housing Exemptions

Qualifying for an Exemption

While most first- and second-year students are required to live on campus, you may qualify for an exemption to the on-campus living requirement. Before applying for an exemption, please make sure you meet one of the following criteria:

  1. You live with a family member (parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent, spouse or children) within a commutable distance to campus. You must living in their primary place of residence approximately 20 miles or less from campus.

    Commutable Distance Map
  2. You are a third- or fourth-year student or over 21 years of age by the first day of the first academic term of the year.
  3. You are married and have a marriage certificate that documents your union.
  4. You have a medical condition that Seattle University cannot accommodate in on-campus residences. Documentation from the Office of Disabilities Services (1-206-296-5740) is required.
  5. You are transferring, withdrawing or undergoing a hardship withdrawal. Documentation is required from the appropriate Seattle University administrative office. The Meal Plan Change form is also required. If you are suspended or expelled for disciplinary reasons, you will not be released from the financial obligations of your Student Housing Agreement. For mid-quarter withdrawals, you may have your Student Housing and Meal Plan charges prorated based on the occupancy period.
  6. You graduate during the academic year.
  7. You are participating in an academic internship, exchange or study abroad. Documentation is required when you are participating a non-Seattle University-sponsored program.  Participation in Seattle University-sponsored study aboard programs will be verified administratively.
  8. You are pregnant or fathered a child. You may have their Student Housing Agreement charges prorated based on the occupancy period.
  9. You are being relocated by the military; documentation is required. You may have their Student Housing Agreement charges prorated based on the occupancy period.

Submitting a Housing Exemption

The Housing Agreement is a binding, legal document. Therefore, there will be a financial penalty if you move out mid-year after the move-in date. If you are a new student, please submit your application for a housing exemption as soon as possible when the portal opens in May.

How to Apply for a Housing Exemption

  1. Log into the Housing Portal
  2. Select "Application"
  3. After completing a few steps to verify information, you will have the option to request an exemption.
  4. You will need to upload a photocopy of a valid form of ID from the family member you will be living with.
  5. You will need to upload a photocopy of a map from the requested address that you will be commuting from to the University.

A full step-by-step process with screenshots of the Housing Portal pages can be found here: Housing Exemption Process.

Fulfilling the requirements for exemption will not constitute an automatic release from the residency requirement. Failure to obtain an approved exemption from Housing and Residence Life will result in the posting of the quarterly housing charges to your Seattle University account.

We’re Here For You

For information about housing and dining, contact us Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Housing and Residence Life

Campion Hall 100, 901 12th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122