Housing Exemption

When to do a Housing Exemption

All first and second year students are required to live on campus. If a student wants to request to be excused from living on-campus, the student will go through the Housing Exemption process.

Residential Housing Exemptions are limited to the following conditions/categories:

1. Living with a family member(s) within a commutable distance to campus: The student must live with the family member in their primary place of residence approximately 20 miles or less from campus.

Seattle University Commutable Distance Map

Commutable distance

Seattle University Commutable Distance map showing distance within 20 mi of campus

  • "Family" is defined as a parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent, spouse, or children.
  • "Primary place of residence" is defined as a person's true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation, to the exclusion of all others. It is the place where the person intends to remain permanently.  

2. Commuting - If the  student – by the first day of their first academic term - is a third or fourth year  student or over 21 years of age. After taking occupancy, due to the binding nature Agreement, a mid-year release will not be approved without a cancellation penalty.

3. Marriage - Occurring after the start date of the Agreement. A marriage certificate to prove actual marriage is required.

4. Medical Accommodation - Conditions for which the University is unable to accommodate on-campus residence.  Documentation from the Office of Disabilities Services is required. Contact Disabilities Services at (206) 296-5740.

5. Transfer, Withdrawal, Hardship Withdrawal - Documentation is required from the appropriate SU administrative office [i.e., College Dean, Registrar, etc.]. When a transfer, withdrawal and/or hardship withdrawal - the Meal Plan Change form is also required. Students who are suspended or expelled for disciplinary reasons will not be released from the financial obligations of their Student Housing Agreement. For mid-quarter withdrawals, students may have their Student Housing and Meal Plan charges prorated based on the occupancy period.

6. Graduation - This occurs during the academic year of record.

7. Academic Internship/Exchange/Study Abroad - Documentation is required when a non-Seattle University-sponsored program.  Participation in Seattle University-sponsored study aboard programs will be verified administratively.

8. Pregnancy – Pregnancy/paternity of child birth. Students may have their Student Housing Agreement charges prorated based on the occupancy period.

9. Military Relocation - Documentation is required. Students may have their Student Housing Agreement charges prorated based on the occupancy period.

Current/Returning Students

If a student currently lives on campus and is required to live on campus but decides to commute from home mid-year, they will need to submit a housing exemption. The Housing Agreement is a binding, legal document. Therefore there will be a penalty for mid-year move-outs after the move-in date. 

Incoming Students for Fall 

The Housing portal for new, incoming students will open early May. Once the portal opens up, follow the steps below to submit a housing exemption.

How to do a Housing Exemption

  1. Log into the Housing Portal
  2. Select "Application"
  3. After completing a few steps to verify information, you will have the option to request an exemption.
  4. You will need to upload a photocopy of a valid form of ID from the family member you will be living with. 
  5. You will need to upload a photocopy of a map from the requested address that you will be commuting from to the University.

A full step-by-step process with screenshots of the Housing Portal pages can be found here: Housing Exemption Process

Fulfilling the requirements for exemption will not constitute an automatic release from the residency requirement. Failure to obtain an approved exemption from Housing and Residence Life will result in the posting of the quarterly housing charges to the student's SU account.

Housing Exemption Deadlines

Returning/Current Residents and New/Incoming Students Deadlines