Undergraduate Research is an important requirement for the Bachelor of Science in Mathematics degree. Most students complete their research under the direction of Seattle University mathematics faculty. However, students can choose to do an off-campus Research Experience for Undergraduates sponsored by the National Science Foundation. Below is a partial list of SU faculty advisors along with the students they have directed and the titles of their undergraduate research projects.
Dr. Jeff Boersema
- "Power Series for Square Matrices," with Allie Dykes, 2009-2010
Dr. John Carter
- “A comparison of bidirectional Whitham models,” with Sal Calatola-Young, Spring 2019-present
- “Modeling the evolution of harmonics with generalized NLS equations,” with Hannah Potgieter, Winter 2019-present
- "Time-periodic solutions of the Whitham equation," with Christopher Ross, Spring 2018-present
- "Frequency downshift in ocean waves," with Camille Zaug, Spring 2018-present
- "Comparisons between frequency downshift models and experimental data,'' with Isabelle Butterfield, Spring 2016-Spring 2018
- "Stability of solutions to the Whitham equation with surface tension,'' Morgan Rozman, Fall 2015-Spring 2018
- "Generalizations of the viscous Dysthe system,'' with Sean Bassler, Spring 2016-Spring 2017
- "Frequency downshift in a viscous fluid,'' with Alex Govan, Spring 2013-Spring 2015
- "Viscosity in shallow water," with Ariana Mendible, Spring 2014-Spring 2015
- "Viscous generalizations of the nonlinear Schrodinger equation," with Alex Govan, Spring 2013-Spring 2015
- "Deriving the KdV equation," with Brandi Fleming, Winter 2013-Spring 2014
- "Stability of solutions to the Whitham and Fractional KdV equations," with Keri Kodama, Winter 2012-Spring 2014
Dr. Shusen Ding
- "Characterizing L^s-averaging domains,” with Dylan Helliwell, Gavin Pandya, and Arthur Yae, 2019
- "Integral Norm Inequalities,” with Dylan Helliwell, Gavin Pandya, and Arthur Yae, 2018
- "A linear regression of red blood count," with Alisa Yamarat, 2007-2008
- "Two-weight Poincare inequalities for differential forms in averaging domains," with Philip Opperman, 2004-2006
Dr. Brian Fischer
- "Simulating Evolution of Tyto Alba Processing using Bayesian Natural Selection," with Derrik Hanson, 2011-2012
Dr. Dylan Helliwell
- "Characterizing L^s-averaging domains,” with Shusen Ding, Gavin Pandya, and Arthur Yae, 2019
- "Modelling ‘Flow’,” with Luke Luttrell, 2019
- "Integral Norm Inequalities,” with Shusen Ding, Gavin Pandya, and Arthur Yae, 2018
- "Apollonian sets in taxicab geometry,” with Eric Bahuaud, Shana Crawford, Aaron Fish, Anna Miller, Freddy Nungaray, Suki Shergill, Julian Tiffay, Nico Velez, 2018
- "Taxicab Conics," with Emily Frost, 2011-2012
- "Generalized Conic Sections," with Everett Sullivan, 2010-2012
- "Taxicab Geometry," with Jade Gan 2007-2008
Dr. Allison Henrich
- “Orbits of smoothed pretzel links under the region smoothing change action,” with Colin Murphy and Professor David Neel, 2016-2018.
- “Trefoil parents,” with Justin Bryant, 2016-2017.
- “Knot lineage and fertile knots,” with Elsa Magness, Kayla Perez, and Brianna Zimmer, 2016.
- “The region unknotting game,” with Sarah Brown, Francisco Cabrera, Riley Evans, and Gianni Gibbs, 2015.
- “Minimal sets of pseudo-Reidemeister moves,” with Christopher Cericola and McKenzie Keeling-Garcia, 2013-2014.
- “Multicrossing knot diagrams,” with Christopher Cericola, Colin Murphy, and Jemin Shim, 2014.
- “Pseudoknots,” with Rebecca Hoberg, Lee Johnson, and Elizabeth Minten, 2012.
- “Knot coloring games,” with Kia Braha, Aaron Klingensmith, and Everett Sullivan, 2010-2012.
Dr. Steven Klee
- "Explorations in lattice path enumeration," with Nestor Iwanojko, Bryn Lasher, and Elena Volpi, 2019.
- "Shifting and compression on rank-3 PS ear-decomposable simplicial complexes," with Brian Nugent, 2017-18.
- "Enumerating minimal-length lattice paths," with Jackson Evoniuk and Van Magnan, 2017.
- "Measuring the effect of the designated hitter on run production," with Nicholas Norton, 2017.
- "Digital patterns and dominance in base-3/2," with Andre Bland, Zoe Cramer, and Joseph Koblitz, 2016.
- "Divisibility of entries of Pascal's triangle by prime powers," with Philip de Castro, Desiree Domini, Devon Johnson, and Ranjani Sundaresan, 2016.
- "Markov modeling and run prediction," with Peter Brown and Andrew Park, 2016.
- "Markov modeling for optimal baseball lineups," with Fintan Garrett, Randi Reed, and Jacob Wydick, 2016.
- "Shift effects in baseball," with Brian Liston-Clark and Colin Murphy, 2016.
- "Studying pitcher aging, velocity decline, and adaptation," with Michael Schwartze, 2016.
- "Measuring psychological effects in baseball," with Isabelle Butterfield and Joseph Nakao, 2016.
- "Prime labelings of trees with the Gaussian integers," with Hunter Lehmann and Andrew Park, 2015.
- "Bertrand's postulate over the Gaussian integers," with Maiya Loucks, Samantha Meek, and Levi Overcast, 2015.
Dr. Mark MacLean
- "Chip-firing games on graphs," with Sam Engle, 2013-2014
- "Infinite classes of non-divisor graphs," with Libby Graff, 2008-2009
- "Trees whose complements are divisor graphs," with Elizabeth Dick, 2006-2007
- "A revisiting of Escher tilings," with Leland Jefferis, 2005-2006
Dr. David Neel
- "Characterizing Modularly Contractable GF(q) Representable Matroids," with Timothy Carstens, 2005-2008
- "Linear Complexity of Distance-Regular and Distance-Transitive Graphs," with Thomas Shelly, 2006-2007
Dr. Katie Oliveras
- "Solving the Heat Equation on Various Domains," with Uyen Le, 2013 - present (co-advised with Dr. Bahuaud).
- "Pressure underneath Traveling Water Waves," with Edward Charlesworth, 2012 - present.
- "Stability of Waves with Constant Vorticity," with Patrick Sprenger, 2012 - present.
- "Stability of Purely Capillary Waves," with Erica Yoshimoto, 2011-2012
Dr. Leanne Robertson
- "Power Integral Bases for prime Cyclotomic Fields," with Renee Russell, 2011-Present
- "Monogenic Number Fields," with Michael Gehlke, 2009-2010
- "Coprime Mappings and Prime Trees," with Benjamin Small, 2007-2009
Dr. J. McLean Sloughter
- "Quantitative Analysis of Barriers to Entry and Success in Undergraduate Engineering Programs for Under-Represented and Marginalized Populations", Nancy Mariano, Ranjani Sundaresan, Elena Volpi, 2017 - present
- "Assessment of Community Needs and Performance of Solar Microgrid Power Systems", various students, 2014 - present
- "Calculus Oral Reviews Program Assessment," with Maria Principe, 2012-present
- "Spatial Modeling of Jeffrey Pine Beetle Infestations," with Patrick Trainor, 2010-2012
- "Statistical Predictors of Maternal Mortality in Latin America," with Anja Tjaden, 2010-2011
Dr. Donna Sylvester
- "Epidemiological Models for Zoonoses", with Christine Beal and Hannah Hogness, 2017-2019
- "The Mathematics of Medical Imaging," with Charles Rackson, 2013-2014
- "Locating Transmission Eigenvalues," with Michelle Nuzman, 2009-2011
- "Transmission Eigenvalues," with Nicole Brown, 2008-2009
- "The Answer Isn't So Sheer as the Shear Strength Goes to Zero: Fluids Cannot Be Bent," with Dr. Robert Odom and Caitlin McHugh, 2005-2006