Pre-Arrival Information

Pre-Arrival to Seattle University

First Time Studying in the U.S.

*Applies to any student with an "Initial" I-20, even if it is not the first time studying in the U.S.

Hand carry the following documents:

  • Your passport with visa stamp
  • Your SEVIS form I-20 from Seattle University
  • Proof of a Negative COVID-19 test result within 3 days of your flight
  • Proof of at least 1 hybrid or in-person course on your schedule
  • Evidence of financial support from the sponsor who is listed on your I-20
  • Evidence of your student status, such as your letter of acceptance, class schedule, or tuition paid receipt
  • Receipt of your paid SEVIS fee (pay fee here)
  • Contact information for the International Student Center.
    Our office phone number is +1 (206) 296-6260.
    • If the border officer asks for a name of a school official from Seattle University, you can give one of the following International Student Advisor's names: Dale Watanabe, Marie Johnston, Sabeen Chaudhry, or Lauren Albano.
  • NEW STUDENTS: Remember not to open the sealed envelope given to you by the U.S. Consular Officer.

Transfer Students

**If you have an active SEVIS record from another school and you will be beginning your studies at Seattle University within 5 months of your current program end date, you must transfer your SEVIS record within your 60-day grace period, which is the 60-days after your current I-20 end date (or EAD card end date, if on OPT). If you will not begin your new program within 5 months, please request a new Initial I-20.

  • Follow your current school's guidelines for transferring your SEVIS record to Seattle University
  • Complete the Transfer In Form
  • Submit your Declaration of Finances Form and/or Bank Statement to Admissions. 
  • Check-in with the International Student Center at Seattle University 
  • Inform the ISC if you are traveling outside of the United States before classes begin so we can issue you a Transfer-Pending I-20. 
    • *If you will be entering the U.S. on a transfer-pending I-20, you will also need to have proof of registration for a hybrid or in-person course. You will also need proof of a negative COVID-19 test result within 3 days of your flight.
  • Update your overseas and local addresses through MySeattleU

Change of Status Students:

For students on a different visa who are currently inside the U.S. and applying for a Change of Status using Form I-539:

  • Submit your financial documents to to request a "Change of Status" I-20
  • Complete the Check-In process, and include a copy of your current visa
  • Remain inside the U.S; do not travel outside the U.S. with your Change of Status pending

COVID-19 Only: Continuing Students with an Initial/Transfer I-20:

HYBRID/IN-PERSON COURSE REQUIREMENT: If you began your studies online from your home country, and are entering the U.S. on an Initial Form I-20, Transfer-Pending Form I-20, or Change of Level I-20, you MUST be registered for at least 1 hybrid or in-person course for the quarter you are entering the U.S. You should bring proof of your hybrid/in-person course registration when you enter the U.S. This is an SEVP regulation, and you will be required to complete that hybrid or in-person course during the term that you enter the U.S. 

Feel free to email if you have any questions about this SEVP regulation.