Maintaining Student Status

How to maintain your student status.

International Student Center group photo, 2017

There are four main elements to maintaining your student visa status:

Completing a full-time course load each term.

Full time is defined as completing at least 12 credits per quarter for undergraduate students, and at least 6 graduate level credits for graduate students. Please note that registering for the required number of credits is not the same as completing the required number of credits. If you register for the minimum number of classes, then subsequently drop, withdraw, or fail a class, you will not be completing the required number of credits. Choose your classes carefully!

Keeping Form I-20 or DS-2019 current.

Report any changes of major, address, name, or sponsorship to the International Student Center so that this information may be changed on your I-20 or DS-2019. Your I-20 or DS-2019 should not expire before you complete your degree at Seattle University. If it is going to expire, come to the ISC before the expiration date to obtain information about extension. Don't forget to have your I-20 or DS-2019 signed by the International Student Advisor at least once per year.

Holding a valid passport.

You must have a valid passport at all times while in the United States. If your passport will be expiring this year, contact your country's embassy or consulate in the United States well ahead of the expiration date for information about how early you will need to start the renewal process, and the type of supporting documents you will need. The ISC can assist you in locating the nearest embassy/consulate.

Working only with proper authorization.

Working off-campus is only possible under certain conditions (such as approved OPT or CPT) and always requires prior approval from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and/or the International Student Center. Working illegally is a serious offense and can result in you being forcibly deported from the United States.

To learn more about maintaining status and to access forms, please go to the Seattle University intranet.