Undocumented Students

Undocumented Students and Seattle University

The Seattle University Undergraduate Admissions Office recognizes that undocumented students make important contributions to the intellectual and social life of the campus; Seattle University admits and enrolls students regardless of citizenship.

Who is an Undocumented Student?

Most college-bound undocumented students:

  • have lived in the United States most of their lives
  • have been brought to the United States by their parents at a young age
  • have learned English - have attended elementary, middle, and high school in the United States
  • have excelled academically in high school and want to pursue a college education
  • currently lack a way to become legal residents or citizens in the United States

Applying to Seattle University

Students should complete the Common Application and may list themselves as ‘undocumented’ under citizenship field or leave this question blank. Filling out the citizenship question is an optional field on the Common Application.

Transfer students will complete the Seattle University Transfer application and may leave the citizenship field blank.

Financial Aid

At this time, undocumented students cannot legally receive any federally funded student financial aid, including loans, grants, scholarships or work-study money.

However, SB 6523 (The REAL Hope Act), has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program’s eligibility requirements and satisfy the residency criteria. Complete the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) and find out what you may be eligible for. 

Those with questions about financial aid for undocumented students should email Student Financial Services or call at 206-220-8020.


All undocumented students are eligible for our Merit-Based Scholarships, Costco Scholarship and Sullivan Leadership Award. For additional information/requirements on the above-mentioned scholarships, please see our scholarship page.

HB 1079

HB 1079 was approved as state law and 1079 students are considered “residents” for purposes of higher education. This means 1079 students are permitted to pay “in-state” tuition, or “resident,” tuition rates, to attend Washington public colleges and universities.

You qualify as a 1079 student if you have lived in Washington State at least three years, and you meet one of the following requirements:

  • You graduated from a Washington state high school and you completed your senior year of high school in Washington; or
  • You earned the equivalent of a high school diploma, such as a GED.