Transfer Student FAQ

Am I a Transfer Student or a Previous Applicant?

Proof of English Proficiency

Admissions Requirements and Process

Transferring Credit to SU

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Additional Information

Who is considered a transfer student?

You are considered a transfer student if you are a high school graduate who has completed a college level course at a college, university, or any other school after graduating from high school.

I am in high school and taking college courses. Am I considered a transfer student?

If you are a high school student and are enrolled in Running Start, dual enrollment, International Baccalaureate or have earned AP credit, you are considered a first time freshman applicant.

I already have a bachelor's degree but want to earn another undergraduate degree. Do I apply as a transfer student?

If you have completed a bachelor’s degree and, are seeking another undergraduate degree, you should apply as a Post Baccalaureate student using the Seattle University Transfer Application.

If I applied to Seattle University before, do I need to reapply?

If you applied to Seattle University within the past two years you can fill out an update form. If your prior application is older than two years, please fill out a new Seattle University Transfer Application.

Do I need to reapply as a transfer student if I applied as a freshman while in high school?

If you have earned college credits after graduating from high school you should re-apply as a transfer student.

Can I be re-considered for admission if I have been denied admission to Seattle U in the past?

In order to be considered for admission after a denial, it is recommended that you complete additional coursework and that an upward trend can be seen in your GPA for consecutive quarters. Applicants should submit updated transcripts and check for changes in prerequisites and or new application material requirements.

Do I have to complete an associate's degree to transfer?

Transfer applicants are not required to complete an associate's degree; however, there may be benefits depending on the program of interest. More information on transferring credit can be found here.

What is the required GPA to be admitted as a transfer student?

A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 (on a scale where an A is 4.00) is usually required for transfer admission consideration. Applications are reviewed carefully; primary consideration is given to course selection and individual course performance. The average GPA of admitted transfer students (based on transferable credits alone) is 3.44. Please check the webpage of the individual major that you are interested in for specific admission and prerequisite requirements.

I am ready to apply as a transfer/ post baccalaureate student. What do I do?

To apply as a transfer/post baccalaureate student submit the following:

  • The Seattle University Transfer Application. 
  • A $55 application fee. Undergraduate applicants are only required to pay the application fee one time. The fee is not required of students who will have completed an associate's degree at a Washington, Oregon, Arizona or California by the time of enrollment and who are transferring directly to Seattle U.
  • Official transcripts from each college, university or professional school attended.
  • Personal statement describing the ways Seattle U matches the applicant's educational goals. See application for more details.
  • If English is not one of your first/native languages, Proof of English Proficiency is required. This is required regardless of English language studies, academic history, residence in the United States or other English-speaking countries, or immigration status.
  • Additional items are required for applicants to the BSN or Diagnostic Ultrasound programs.

What application should I use?

To apply to Seattle U, transfer applicants should submit the transfer application. 

Are standardized tests or interviews required (SAT/ACT)?

Applicants with fewer than 45 transferable quarter college credits (30 semester credits) are required to submit high school transcripts. SAT and ACT scores are optional for all students. Interviews are not required.

Do I need to send a high school transcript?

Transfer applicants who have completed less than 45 quarter credits (30 semester credits) at a college or university following high school are required to submit their official, final high school transcripts. Students who applied to Seattle U as freshmen , while enrolled in high school, must submit an official, final high school transcript if they did not previously send one to Seattle U.

Do I have to send all of my college transcripts?

Yes, you must submit separate official transcripts from each college, university or professional school attended. Official transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Office by the issuing institution. The mailing address for admissions materials is:

Seattle University
Admissions Office
901 12th Ave
PO Box 222000
Seattle, WA 98122-1090

Does Seattle University accept electronic transcripts?

Official electronic transcripts are accepted and should be sent to by the issuing institution.

Do I need recommendation letters to apply as a transfer student?

Letters of recommendation are welcome but not mandatory with the exception of the Diagnostic Ultrasound program, which requires two letters of recommendation. 

May I request a waiver of the application fee?

Applicants for whom the application fee would prove a genuine hardship may request a waiver. Seattle U specific fee waivers are also available for applicants. In addition, the fee is not required of students who will complete an associate's degree at a Washington, Arizona, California or Oregon state community college by the time of enrollment and who are transferring directly to Seattle U. Additionally, students who have a sibling, parent, or grandparent who graduated from Seattle University are eligible for a fee waiver. More information can be found when completing your application.

What are the transfer application deadlines?

Deadlines for transfer students can be found here.

How will I know if Seattle University has received all of my application materials?

After an application has been submitted you will receive an email from Seattle U sent to the email provided in your application. If the application is incomplete, the email will include a link to track your application with a list of required documents. When your application becomes complete you will receive a confirmation email that your application is complete and has been forwarded for review and an admissions decision. Students may also contact the admissions office at 206.220.8040 or email .

How long does it take to hear back after my application is complete?

Transfer applications are processed and evaluated on a rolling basis with the exception of Nursing and Diagnostic Ultrasound applications. Typically 6-8 weeks after an application is completed an admission decision is made available online, with students notified via email that there is an update to the status of their application. Admission decisions for Nursing and Diagnostic Ultrasound applicants are available in late spring. 

What is the maximum number of credits that I can transfer?

Seattle U grants the maximum credit possible to meet degree requirements for courses taken at other accredited institutions. An official evaluation of transfer coursework will be provided upon admission to Seattle U. Students transferring from a community college may transfer up to 90 quarter credits to Seattle U. Students transferring from a four year institution may transfer up to 135 quarter credits. All Seattle U students are required to complete the last 45 quarter credit hours of their bachelor's degree coursework at Seattle U. Review Seattle U's transfer policy for more information.

How will my credits transfer?

Seattle U grants the maximum credit possible to meet degree requirements for courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions. With a direct transfer associate of arts or associate of science degree from a Washington State community college, the IGETC along with an associate of arts degree from a California community college, the Oregon associate of arts transfer degree or an associate of arts AGEC-A from an Arizona community college, 90 quarter credits transfer directly, junior standing is granted at entrance and many of the university's Core curriculum courses are satisfied. Review the courses that will transfer to Seattle University through our Transfer Equivalency Tool.

When will my transcripts be evaluated?

An official evaluation of transfer coursework will be included in the acceptance packet and available to view online upon admission to SeattleU. Read Seattle University's Transfer Credit Policy and review the course equivalency guide. 

I received my official program evaluation and I have some questions. Who should I contact?

Questions regarding your program evaluation should be directed to your academic advisor. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.

English is not my first language. How do I provide proof of English Proficiency?

Applicants for whom English is not one of their first/native languages must demonstrate English Proficiency regardless of English language studies, academic history, residence in the United States or other English-speaking countries, or immigration status. There are many options for providing proof of English Proficiency. A full list of options can be found here.

I have received my Associates degree; do I still need to provide proof of English Proficiency?

Yes, applicants, for whom English is not one of the first/native language, must demonstrate English Proficiency regardless of English language studies, academic history, residence in the United States or other English-speaking countries, or immigration status. More information can be found here.

Is financial aid available?

At Seattle U, nearly 90 percent of students receive financial aid. Last year, Seattle U awarded more than $69 million in scholarships, grants, loans, and employment aid to undergraduates. An analysis of need is determined through FAFSA and all transfer applicants are automatically considered for merit scholarships. Students can learn more about their financial aid options by utilizing the Net Price Calculator tool.

Are scholarships available?

Transfer students who complete an admissions application to Seattle University are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships. These scholarships are based on the information in the admissions application, not family finances. And we guarantee that any amount you receive as an institutional gift will remain constant for the duration of your degree.

Are financial aid and scholarships available for international transfer students?

While international students do not qualify for federal financial aid, international students are eligible for merit scholarship consideration. To review this information online follow this link.

I already have a bachelor’s degree. Am I eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships?

Post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for merit-based scholarships from Seattle University. An analysis of financial need is determined through the FAFSA.

I have just been admitted! Now what do I do?

Congratulations! Visit the New Student Registration webpage for more information and a checklist for getting started. Information is also available in your application portal

Is there an orientation program available for transfer students?;

Students register for a Transfer SUccess Orientation after they have been admitted to the university. The orientation provides students with information on university resources, opportunities to meet with an advisor and register for classes. Visit the New Student Registration webpage for more information.

Can I live on campus?

There is a two year on-campus living requirement for all freshman and sophomore Seattle U students and those under the age of 21. Transfer students apply for housing online and are placed in housing based on the number of credits that Seattle U has approved. Housing for junior and senior students is provided on a space available basis and priority is given to transfer students who are coming from out of state and for students not living in a commutable distance. More information on transfer housing.

How can I receive more detailed information about Seattle University?

For more information please fill out a request for information form.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

Contact transfer admissions at or call Admissions at 206-220-8040 or 1-800-426-7123.

How can I visit campus?

Seattle U offers several visit options based on the student's needs. Visit options include, student-led campus tours, shadowing a class and one-on-one meetings with faculty, academic advisors and admissions counselors. All the options can be found on the campus tours page.

Can I meet with someone to answer my questions?

Transfer admissions counselors are available for appointments during the week. To schedule an appointment, please contact the admissions office at 206.220.8040 or 1.800.426.7123 or email .