Civil Engineering Program Educational Objectives
The program strives to provide a personalized, world-class educational experience, in keeping with Seattle University's Mission, that enables graduates to:
- Professional: attain a position in civil engineering or related field,
- Technical: be recognized as competent professionals as demonstrated by the completion of professional licensure or specialized certification,
- Personal: participate in ongoing personal and professional growth and learning as demonstrated by completion of advanced degrees or through other forms of continuing education, and
- Societal: contribute to society or the profession through involvement in professional organizations or other service activity.
At the time of graduation, students from our civil engineering program are expected to have:
- Problem Solving: an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- Design: an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- Communication: an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- Professional and Ethical Responsibility: an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- Teamwork: an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- Experimentation: an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions;
- Learning: an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
The Civil Engineering program enrolled 79 students in Fall 2023 and awarded 19 degrees in academic year 2022-23.