Seattle University is a charter signatory of the American College & University President's Climate Commitment. We believe that higher education must educate students and conduct research to develop the social, economic and technological solutions to reverse global warming and lead by example to reduce our campus’s operational emissions.
The Commitment requires signatories to:
- Establish an institutional structure
- Complete an Emissions inventory within a year and annually thereafter
- Establishing a climate neutrality action plan setting, including a target date and interim milestones for achieving climate neutrality
- Take immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Integrate sustainability into the curriculum
- Make the climate action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available
See the ACUPCC Implementation Guide here.
We've committed to achieving these goals in Seattle University's Climate Action Plan (2010):
- ACADEMICS: Expand sustainability in the curriculum
- CO-CURRICULAR PROGRAMS: Expand sustainability in co-curricular programs and educate SU's campus community about climate change and sustainability outside the clasrroom
- OPERATIONS: Increase sustainable practices in university operations and eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from operations and transportation
- MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS: Share our sustainability knowledge and expertise with others
In 2011, The President’s Committee for Sustainability (PCS) was convened to oversee:
- The implementation of Seattle University's Climate Action Plan
- The integration of sustainability initiatives across the Seattle University community
Learn more about Seattle University's progress towards it Climate Action Plan goals HERE.