The Music Division in the Department of Performing Arts and Arts Leadership is presents the Young Artists Festival and Competition on Friday May 12, 2017 7:30 PM in Pigott Auditorium. This event is open to all music majors, minors and non-music majors.
• A $1000.00 scholarship will be awarded to a first place winner and an honorable mention will be named in both two (junior and senior) divisions
• First place winner and honorable mention will perform at the Music Convocation
• Entrant must be a currently enrolled Seattle University student. All music majors, minors and non-music majors are welcomed.
• Applicants must fill out and submit the registration form by May 2, 2017. Please return application to Dr. Quinton Morris' box in the Fine Arts Building office. Application can be found here: Young Artists Festival Application.
• A $10.00 fee must accompany of applications in the competitive divisions. Students who enter the non-competitive division are exempt from this.
• Entrants may compete on only one instrument.
• Music may be used for all repertoire in the non-competitive division. In the competitive divisions, all repertoire must be performed by memory except for sonatas with piano. Pianists may use music in either division.
Senior Competitive Division
• This division is open to current SU students who are at the junior or senior class level.
• Competitors will present three works of contrasting time periods.
• Up to 25 minutes performing time.
Junior Competitive Division
• This division is open to current SU students who are at the freshman or sophomore level.
• Competitors will present two works of contrasting time periods, which can include a concerto, sonata, showpiece, or caprice repertoire.
• Up to 20 minutes performing time.
• Participants may present up to two works.
• Up to 10 minutes performing time.
• All participants will:
• Provide own accompanists.
• Unless pieces are unaccompanied, all pieces must have piano accompaniment.
• Provide a copy of a score with measure numbers in the left margin of each brace.
• Competitors must provide 3 copies such scores.
• Give score(s) to the facilitator opened to the correct page and stacked in order at check-in.
• Be cut off if allotted time is exceeded.
• Receive feedback in either written form or in an adjudication
• Entrants must check in the morning of their performances
• The judges’ decisions are final and may not be appealed.
• Winners who choose not to participate in the radio broadcast or the honors concert will be disqualified and will not receive certificate of recognition or scholarship.