Non-Matriculated Admissions

Take classes about your personal and professional interests as a non-degree seeking student.

Campus fountain on a sunny day

Develop professional skills or explore your interests by enrolling in courses without committing to a full degree.

Undergraduate Classes

U.S. Citizens and permanent residents who do not intend to complete Seattle University degrees may enroll in undergraduate courses as non-matriculated students. You mu​​st be in good academic and social standing at any colleges or universities where you may have studied earlier.

Please see the Registrar's Policy on Non-Matriculated Students.


Please complete a non-matriculated student application and submit an application fee.

You must also submit proof of immunization records in order to register for classes. Seattle University requires you to provide documentation that you have had two doses of the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR). You​ may submit your immunizations using the Online Student Health Immunization Form.


During the fall, winter, and spring quarters, you will be admitted to courses on a space-available basis after all matriculated students have had the opportunity to register. During the summer term, you may register when registration opens for the term.

Once you have been admitted as a non-matriculated student, you may register for courses on the time and date indicated or anytime thereafter until registration is closed.

  • First-Year Early Action: November 15
  • First-Year Regular Decision: January 15
  • Transfer Nursing Admissions: December 1
  • Transfer Diagnostic Ultrasound Admissions: February 1
  • Transfer Priority Admissions (all other majors): March 1

Student Services

You do not qualify for financial aid or academic counseling. Access to advisers is at the discretion of the individual schools/colleges.

You are eligible for a Seattle University email account, campus card and the following student services:

You are not eligible for the following services:

  • Collegium membership
  • Campus housing
  • Meal plan purchases
  • Voting in student elections
  • Serving on student boards or councils

Graduate Classes 

Type 1 Student

A visiting student enrolled in a graduate degree program at another institution with permission to take no more than two quarters or 12 transfer credits of graduate coursework as a non-degree seeking student at Seattle University.

Although you intend to transfer those credits to your graduate program, Seattle University assumes no responsibility for advising for the applicability of the courses to your degree.

Type 2 Student

A non-degree seeking student taking graduate coursework because of special interest or an unusual delay in their regular application to a graduate program at Seattle University.

International students on an F-1 visa are not normally permitted TYPE 2 non-degree seeking status unless during a break from their current institution. If you have F-1 status at another institution, you must provide a copy of your current I-20.

Admissions Requirements

  • Transcript showing a posted bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution. Submit transcripts reflecting any relevant post-bachelor's coursework or degrees. (Unofficial or photocopied transcripts are acceptable for non-degree seeking application.)
  • Grade point average, coursework or other evidence of the ability to do graduate level coursework.
  • Applicants for whom English is a non-native language must demonstrate English proficiency regardless of English language studies, academic history, residence in the United States or an English-speaking country, or immigration status. English proficiency may be met with the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Pearson Test of English (PTE).

In addition to the documents above, Type 1 applicants must also submit:

  • Transcript from the current institution where you are seeking a degree.
  • Letter of permission sent directly from your advisor or another official at your current institution indicating that you are in good standing, have approval to pursue the requested course work at Seattle University and will be returning to that institution to complete a degree.

For application procedures refer to the non-matriculated application.

Get in Touch 

We’re here to help. For information about Non-Matriculated Admissions, contact:

Undergraduate Admissions
Phone: 1-206-220-8040
Toll-free: 1-800-426-7123

Office of Graduate Admissions
Phone: 1-206-220-8010
Toll-free: 1-800-426-7123