Frequently Asked Questions

Below are common questions that many prospective and current students have about using their VA benefits at SU. If you are still considering institutions the GI Bill® website  has a helpful comparison tool to help you find the best school. If you can't find the answer to the questions you have, please e-mail


Can I use my VA educational benefits at SU?

Seattle University is an accredited university. VA Educational benefits can be used to pursue all of Seattle University’s currently established degree programs.

Does SU offer a tuition discount for veterans?

No. In Washington State some publicly funded state colleges and universities offer a tuition discount to veterans. While SU, as a private university, does not offer this discount, we are happy to assist you in utilizing any VA Educational Benefits that you may be eligible to receive.  

Does Seattle University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes. For the 2017-18 VA fiscal year, which begins on August 1, 2017, SU has signed a contract with the Veterans Administration to provide funding for 90 undergraduate and 40 graduate students through the Yellow Ribbon Program. Funding is awarded on a first come, first served basis.

How do I apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yellow Ribbon is an accompaniment program.  You must be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Ch.33) at 100%, not be active duty or the spouse using benefits of an active duty member, and have separated from the military with any status other than dishonorable.  To be placed on the Yellow Ribbon waitlist you must first be admitted to Seattle University.  We then need your Certificate of Eligibility addressed to the individual using benefits.

Do I need to come in for an appointment to turn in my documents?

No. All documents can be submitted using the e-mail, regular mail or fax using the contact information for the Office of Student Financial Services or in person. However, just because you do not have to have an appointment does not mean you cannot make one. The certifying official in Student Financial Services and/or the Registrar's Office will be able to meet with you in person. Please contact them using the for quickest response. 

How much will my payment be for Veterans Benefits?  When will I get paid?  What Benefits am I eligible for?

The certifying officials do not have this information. Instead, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly at 1-888-442-4551 or go to the GI Bill® website.

How will my financial aid be affected by my VA educational benefits? 

Starting in the 2009-10 academic year, most VA benefits are not considered when determining a student’s eligibility for Federal and State funding.  However, institutional funding may be affected. To receive the most accurate information, please contact Student Financial Services to be put in touch with a VA School Certifying Official (SCO).

Do I have to fill out any additional paperwork to receive my VA Educational Benefits each quarter? 

No. Once you have submitted all your paperwork to the Office of Student Financial Services and have registered for a quarter, a VA School Certifying Official (SCO) will automatically review your courses for degree applicability. You will be contacted if any of courses are found to not apply to your degree. A SCO will then automatically submit your quarterly certification (Form 22-1999) to the Department of VA for processing.  Except for Summer Terms where the SCO will notify students of actions that need to be taken for certification. 

If I am using the Post 9-11 GI Bill®, will I need to pay my bill out of pocket if the school has yet to receive my tuition and fee payment from the VA by the tuition due date?

No, the Office of Student Financial Services will incorporate the anticipated amount of your VA Educational Benefits into your quarterly bill. You are only responsible for paying the portion of your bill not covered by your benefits or other types of financial aid by the tuition due date. If you are receiving Post 9-11 GI Bill® benefits you will not be assessed any financial penalties while the school waits to receive your anticipated tuition and fee payment from the VA.

How many credits do I need to take each quarter to be eligible for the Basic Housing Allowance (BAH) under the Post 9-11 GI Bill®? 

For the Fall, Winter and Spring quarters undergraduates need to enroll in at least 7 credits to be eligible to receive the BAH. Graduate students need to be enrolled for at least 4 credits. To receive the maximum amount of BAH you will need to be at full-time status (12 credits for undergraduate; 6 credits for graduate). For courses taken during the Summer Quarter please contact a VA Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office for clarification. Also, the Department of VA no longer issues break pay for students using VA Educational benefits.

How are enrollment dates reported to the VA?

As an Institution of Higher Learning (IHL), Seattle University is approved to certify standard term dates as published in the Academic Calendar. Coursework that occurs outside of the dates of the term cannot be certified. 

Is there a Common Access Card reader for veterans to use on campus?

Yes.  A CAC reader is located in Seattle University's Office of Military Science which is located in the 13th Avenue Building (behind the Shell station on 12th).  Inquire at the front desk for assistance.

What do I do if I am also eligible to receive Tuition Assistance?

Aveteran cannot utilize federal Tuition Assistance benefits and certain VA Educational Benefits at the same time so first, find out if the Tuition Assistance you have is funded federally or by the state. If your Tuition Assistance is funded by the state, submit your paperwork to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO) for processing.

What do I do if I am called to Active Duty?

You will need to fill out a Military Service Leave of Absence Request. Please also contact the certifying official in the Registrar's Office if you are leaving for active duty.

When you return from active duty, contact the Registrar's Office to notify them of when you plan to return to SU.

How do I obtain a Certificate of Eligibility?

You will need to fill out what is called the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).  The is the VA's general application for any education and training benefits. You may locate this document through either the VA's eBenefits site or through the GI Bill® website following the Apply for Benefits links.