When applying to the Masters in Structural Engineering program, please ensure that you have the following on hand to meet our program and educational requirements:
- Completed application for graduate admission - $0 application fee through Fall 2022.
- Academic Background: Evidence of an earned four-year baccalaureate degree in civil engineering from an ABET-accredited institution or its equivalent. Successful applicants typically have a 3.0 overall GPA or better.
- Expected Coursework: satisfactory academic performance in fundamental mechanics-related and structural design courses. Required fundamental mechanics courses include: Engineering-based Statics, Mechanics of Materials, and Structural Analysis/Mechanics. Required structural design courses are Reinforced Concrete and Steel Design.
- Applicants missing some or all the senior-level undergraduate structural courses (Structural Analysis/Mechanics, Reinforced Concrete Design, and Steel Design) may still apply. Upon admission, those candidates can work with their academic advisor on a plan of study that incorporates required senior-level undergraduate course(s).
- Applicants from other Civil Engineering-related disciplines may be eligible to apply following completion of engineering-based Statics and Mechanics of Materials courses.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who are able to assess applicant’s potential for graduate study. At least one recommendation should be from a university professor.
- International Students: Applicants for whom English is a non-native language must demonstrate English proficiency regardless of English language studies, residence in the United States or an English-speaking country, or immigration status. Graduate applicants with a baccalaureate or higher degree from recognized colleges in the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia and who have continued to reside in countries where English is the primary language for at least two years prior to applying to Seattle University will have this requirement waived. Please visit the International Admissions page for more information.