Harriet Phinney, PhD
Associate Professor, Anthropology and Sociology
Associate Appointment, Asian Studies Program
Building/Room: Casey 310-02
Teaching and Research Interests
- Introduction to Anthropology
- Culture and the Body
- Culture and Reproduction
- Ethnographic Methods
- Senior Synthesis: Thinking Anthropologically
- Affect and Emotion
- Gender and Sexuality
- Politics of Reproduction
- Marital and Family law/Kinship
- Medical Anthropology
- Single mothers
- Vietnam and Southeast Asia
- Phinney, Harriet, Khuat Thu Hong, Vu Thi Thanh Nhan, Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao, and Jennifer S. Hirsch, "Obstacles to the Cleanliness of our Race: HIV, reproductive risk. stratified reproduction, and population quality in Hanoi, Vietnam." Journal of Critical Public Health, (2013).
- Phinney, Harriet, Jennifer Hirsch, and Holly Wardlow. "'No one saw us': reputation as an axis of sexual identity." Understanding Global Sexualities: New Frontiers.(2012) 91- I 07.
- Phinney, Harriet, Jennifer Hirsch, Holly Wardlow, Daniel Jordan Smith, Shanti Parikh and Constance Nathanson. The Secret: Love. Marriage and HIV. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press, 2009.
- Phinney, Harriet. "'Rice is Essential but Tiresome; You should get some Noodles: Doi Moi and the Political Economy of Men's Extramarital Sexual Relations and Marital HIV Risk in Hanoi, Vietnam.'' American Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, no. 4, (2008): 650-660.
- Phinney, Harriet. "Objects of Affection: Vietnamese Discourses on Love and Emancipation." Positions. vol. 16, no. 2, (2008): 329-356.