Veterans Education Benefits

The federal Department of Veterans Affairs website is the best source for information about all VA Educational Benefits Programs.

Veterans may also use the Federal VA's on-line Ask VA (AVA) to ask questions or call the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).  Veterans can also visit the Veterans page on the Seattle U web site.

The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs  also has helpful information about benefits.  

Can VA educational benefits be used at SU?

Yes, unless planning to enroll in one of the following programs because these have not been approved for VA benefits at SU:

  • Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
  • Post Baccalaureate Advanced Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

These two programs haven't been approved because they require attendance at the affiliated School of Teaching English as a Second Language and that institution isn't currently approved to certify students to receive VA educational benefits.

Does SU offer a tuition discount for veterans?

No.  In Washington State some publicly funded state colleges and universities offer a tuition discount to veterans.  While SU, as a private university, does not offer this discount, the Office of Student Financial Services is happy to assist veterans in utilizing any VA educational benefits they may be eligible to receive.

How do veterans get set up to use their VA benefits at SU?

Visit the SU Veterans web page for information about "Getting Started with Veteran's Education Benefits" at Seattle University.

Is it necessary to have an appointment to turn in documents?

No.  All documents may be submitted to the attention of the “VA Certifying Official” via e-mail, regular mail or fax using the contact information found by clicking the arrow next to "Student Financial Services" in the left-hand column of this screen.  Documentation can also be dropped off, in person, at the front desk in the Student Financial Services Office.

What benefits are veterans eligible to receive?  How much will those benefits be?  When will a student receive their veterans benefits payment?

The Student Financial Services office at SU does not have this information.  Instead, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs directly at 1-888-442-4551 or go to the GI Bill website.

How do VA educational benefits affect a veteran's other financial aid? 

Most VA benefits are not considered when determining a student’s eligibility for Federal and State funding but VA funding may effect institutional aid. To receive the most accurate information, veterans should contact Student Financial Services at 206-220-8020 to talk with or make an appointment to meet with the VA Certifying Official.

Does Seattle University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, Seattle University has participated in the Yellow Ribbon program since 2009.  For the 2017-18 VA year, which begins on August 1, 2017, SU has signed a contract with the Veterans Administration to provide funding for 90 undergraduate and 40 graduate students through the Yellow Ribbon Program.  Funding is awarded on a first come, first served basis.

Please contact for information about available slots or waiting list options.

Is there a Common Access Card (CAC) reader for veterans to use on campus?

Yes.  A CAC reader is located in Seattle University's Office of Military Science which is located in the Cherry Street Building (behind the Shell station on 12th).  Please inquire at the front desk for assistance.

Are VA benefit-eligible students also eligible to receive Tuition Assistance?

A veteran cannot utilize federal Tuition Assistance benefits and certain VA Educational Benefits at the same time.  Veterans should first find out if their Tuition Assistance is funded federally or by the state. Veterans whose Tuition Assistance is funded by the state should submit their paperwork to the VA Certifying Official in the Student Financial Services Office for processing.

What if a student veteran is called to Active Duty?

The student veteran should complete a Military Service Leave of Absence Request.

As a Yellow Ribbon recipient called to active duty, the student is no longer eligible to receive those funds.

When returning from active duty, veterans should:

  • Notify the Registrar's Office of the date they plan to return to SU.
  • Contact the VA Certifying Official in the Student Financial Services Office to find out how their VA Educational Benefits may be affected.