The Youth Initiative engages the expertise, wisdom and leadership of dozens of school, community, resident and youth leaders. The Initiative also draws upon the talent and commitment of students, faculty, staff and alumni. Together the campus and community are taking action.
In the community the Youth Initiative is …
- Extending the school day of 180 Gatzert Elementary students by 20%.
- Providing summer learning opportunities for 300 youth.
- Opening a Middle College High School on the SU Campus.
- Partnering to expand services in early learning, workforce development, tax assistance, health education, citizenship preparation and more.
On campus the Youth Initiative is …
- Engaging 43 faculty in teaching and research projects.
- Mobilizing 250 students to make a year-long commitment and over 1,000 additional students to serve in the neighborhood.
- Creating a $1 million endowed scholarship for neighborhood youth to attend Seattle University.
- Developing a data, evaluation and organizational “backbone” system.