Introduction /Group Norms
Warm welcome to SUSC members and visitors.
Visitors are welcome to the open session and will be in an observational capacity.
Leadership Team Update
- Administrative Support for SUSC: Eddie Salazar will be providing meeting support
- Budget Approval for FY21: Michelle Clements has identified a budget for Staff Council
- Bi-weekly LT meetings with Michelle Clements/Mary Dawson moving forward
- LT Quarterly meeting with Pres. Sundborg & Michelle Clements: July 16
- Cabinet Presentation/Update – July 21
- Board of Trustees Committees – Staff Representatives nominated to seven committees
- Open to all staff, not just staff council
- Campus invitation will be in early August
- Email Update (Katie)
- Overview of email messages received.
- Many related to concerns around re-opening
Cabinet Update: Michelle Clements
- Cabinet task force meets twice a day six days a week looking at every aspect of campus return
- We are now in new budget year. Driven by enrollment: 875 confirmed first time in college, 110 below forecast.
- Strategic planning process ongoing.
- Deep focused dialogue around race issues, moving to action
- Care for faculty and staff.
- Fr. Steve and Shane have been working with state government along with other higher ed leaders
- Facilities group has blueprinted every part of campus for capacity and spacing and are testing building airflow
- Plexiglas in classrooms for teachers and reception areas as well as hand sanitizing stations
- Bathrooms remain a challenge across campus.
- Messaging all leaders to help with survey of their areas
- Return to work safety guide to be distributed
- Guidance to campus leaders for planning in their areas to provide flexibility re: work schedule
- “De-densify” spaces by planning flexible schedules and work from home options, commuting
- Work force plans to be submitted to Michelle Clements to oversee the whole
- Cultural norms to change in every way.
- Emergency meetings are happening regarding whether or not we should re-open in fall
- Concern with positive COVID cases at UW fraternity houses
- Reentry plan for furloughed staff (11 furloughed returned early), the remainder return on Aug 3
- For those continuing working at home, assessment of possible ergonomic needs
- New staff award categories well-received
Council Q&A to Michelle Clements and Mary Dawson
AcA Update: Angie Jenkins
- Financial ramification re: enrollment
- Entering deficit of $10 million = Res life $7 million and food $3 million
- Unclear if Commencement can still happen in October
- Natasha Martin and Alvin Sturdivant met with Black Student Union
- Professional development for faculty and staff
- AcA has been meeting monthly instead of bi-weekly
- Nominations (Leann Wagele)
- Nominations for staff council elections will happen in August
- Board of Trustee Committees – will solicit nominations in August, as well
- Communications (Rosie Sabaric)
- Analytic log looking at site traffic
- Recognition and Appreciation (Kit Morse)
- Kudos for Colleagues has 60 postings
Affirming Black Lives Discussion
Inclusion & Community Committee – Chair, Matt Burton
- Affirming Black Lives – Tangible Actions
- Introduction of ideas presented (Matt Burton shared comprehensive document)
- Open discussion
- Trainings? Campus resources?
- Recruiting a more diverse staff council?
- Survey areas on campus to explore existing resources
- How to change culture
- Partnering HR & Office of Diversity and Inclusion and many others
- Next steps?
Title IX Update
Andrea Herrera Katahira, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Equity,
Chief EEO Officer, Title IX Coordinator, ADA/504 Coordinator
New title IX rule takes effect August 14 (Lawsuits may cause injunction) Biden vows rescinding new rule
- Limits what falls under title IX
- Must happen on campus or campus event, otherwise dismissed
- Sexual harassment must be severe (higher standard)
- Narrows to complainants and respondents to “current” parties
- Live hearings must include cross examination
- University must provide legal representation if requested
Proposal - Meeting twice in August with shorter meetings, and move September meeting later in the month due to Sept. 9 opening
Leadership Team will send out Doodle poll with date options