Absent Members: Rebecca Severson, Megan Otis
Guest Attendance: Two staff members attending as observers.
Introduction /Welcome/Acknowledgment of Group Norms
Leadership Team Report
- Management/Operations of SC meetings going forward
- Katie will be timekeeper during meetings.
- Presidential Search Committee – update
- Staff Council has forwarded candidates to the Presidential Search Committee, and that committee has selected a staff representative, pending approval by the Board of Trustees.
- Strategic Planning Council appointments
- The Strategic Planning Council has appointed the Staff Council president and vice president as members of the SPC.
- Campus Leadership Group for Planned Parenthood Issue – additional staff council appointment (Action)
- This is the working group resulting from the AcA and SUSC motions. Leann is a member as Staff Council president. There is an opening for one more council representative. Members should contact Leann if they are interested.
- SUSC Email Management
- Katie will be taking over management of the SUSC email inbox.
- If someone is sending an email from the Staff Council, please BCC ‘Staff Council’ so that there is record of any communications outbound from SUSC email.
- Board of Trustee Meeting, Feb. 13
- Leann attended as a staff representative in her capacity as President.
- New Staff Orientation – SUSC Involvement
- HR is updating the New Staff Orientation and has invited an SUSC member to attend a 15 minute timeslot once per month. Katie will attend in April, Leann attend in May. If other members are interested in future months, please contact Leann.
- Campus Committees & SUSC Leadership Team Workload
- An increasing number of campus committees are requesting that the Staff Council officers serve as a member. It is good progress that campus groups are now seeking to include staff representation. Can other council members share this role in representing SUSC on campus committees?
- SUSC president and vice president already have a high work load. SUSC officers do not get any work release for their service. Compensation is also an issue, especially for non-exempt staff. Administrative assistance would be very helpful.
- SUSC Cabinet Liaison
- A question was raised about whether the council’s Cabinet liaison will attend council meetings.
- Recognition and Appreciation Committee (RAA)
- A recommendation for additional staff awards will be presented to Fr. Steve and Michelle Clements on 2/24.
- The internal test of Kudos for Colleagues was successful. The council unanimously approved a motion to open the system campus-wide.
- Next step for RAA is to collect information on how various departments do appreciation and create a database of ideas that can be shared.
- Kit is working to document processes as a record for future years.
- The LT is advocating for a representative from RAA to be part of the awards selection process
- Review, Compensation & Benefits Committee (RBC)
- RBC committee has set up monthly meetings with representatives from HR. RBC would like to assist in communication between HR and staff. There is a need for clarity about where to find information.
- Are there non-monetary benefits that help with retention and recruitment?
- Compensation and flexible work schedules are topics that overlap with other committees.
- Communications Committee
- Rosie is exploring ways to create and store legacy documents
Leadership Team Report (continued)
- SUSC will meet with Presidential Search Firm on March 19, 2-3 pm
- Leadership Team Meeting with University Cabinet
- LT updated the Cabinet with information from our sharing sessions. Cabinet was positive about work done by Staff Council.
- Fr. Steve asked if SUSC should consider the creation of a committee related to Mission & Student Experience. Council members discussed how mission and students are a part of the work of all committees.
- Provost’s office has begun conversations about faculty-staff relations. Council members will seek to be connected into that conversation wherever possible.
- Natasha Martin wants to bolster affinity groups. The Inclusion & Community committee will seek to coordinate with her.
- Cabinet has received the results from the Staff Voices survey.
Staff Council Member Terms
- Distribution of 1-year and 2-year terms
- Members of each focus area reviewed which members are serving 1-year or 2-year terms.
- Examine Committee membership structure
- Some committees have few 2-year members who will be continuing next year. The council needs to have a good balance of continuing members on committees. Continuing members may change committees if needed. Retiring members can assist in sharing knowledge with next year’s committees.
- Leann asked for volunteers to serve on the committee.
- Call for volunteers for Nominations/Elections Committee
Leadership Meeting with Cabinet (continued discussion on mission and student focus)
- Staff are integral to student experience. Staff in support roles serve students even if they are not in student-facing positions. Council members invite University leaders to recognize and articulate the dedicated service that staff provide to students.
- As a governance body, how can we connect with student governance bodies?
- Invite SGSU to present info about their State of the Student Survey.
- Invite representatives of SGSU and GSC to meet with us.
- Each council committee can work on a vision statement regarding how it serves the University’s mission and students.
Are there any issues you are hearing about or that you’d like to share with the staff council?
Topics discussed: budget cuts, faculty-staff relations.