OSP must receive the complete proposal package at least five (5) business days prior to the sponsor’s deadline.
Your department and college may have additional deadlines ahead of OSP’s. Please contact your chair and dean/director as early as possible in your proposal development process to ensure you can meet their internal deadlines for reviewing and signing off on the PTF.
Complete Proposal Package:
The complete proposal package includes the below forms, available here.
- Proposal Transmittal Form (PTF)
- Any applicable PTF addendums
- Financial Conflict of Interest Form
- Budget Spreadsheet
- Budget Justification
- Project narrative
- Other sponsor-required proposal documents
OSP is responsible for maintaining compliance with the funder, government and the university policies and requirements to maintain ethical research practices and to reduce institutional risk. OSP will carefully review the PTF and proposal for compliance issues that will need to be addressed prior to the research occurring.
These include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible Conduct of Research training for researchers included on the project
- Human subject requirements are met via the Institutional Review Board and an appropriate determination and letter from IRB is provided prior to research beginning
- Biosafety, hazardous materials, chemical hygiene, and/or animal care issues are addressed and mitigated prior to research beginning.
- Export controls are addressed when transferring IP and materials out of the US or with foreign nationals.
OSP also provides an administrative review to ensure the proposal meets the sponsor’s guidelines and requirements for content and formatting.
OSP facilitates the required institutional reviews:
- If the sponsor is a private foundation or corporation, OSP will obtain sign-off from the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations
- If the proposal includes cost-share, OSP obtains the Controller's approval, certifying the funds obligated are available to be used as cost share.
- For all proposals, letters of intent, pre-proposals, and subaward commitments, OSP will facilitate the Provost’s review and approval.
Only after all approvals are obtain may a proposal be submitted to the sponsor.
Funding decisions vary by sponsor and typically can take up to six months. Please communicate with your SRO if you are contacted for more information during the sponsor’s award review process.
- Contact OSP as soon as you receive a funding decision or other communication from the funder.
- Once an award is made, OSP will work with SU Legal to negotiate and execute the contract. Only the Provost or his designee can sign a grant agreement.
- Be sure to follow up on any compliance issues that will need to be ready before research can begin should the award be made (i.e. IRB approval, etc.)
- Once executed, the award will be set-up in SU’s accounting system and an SRO will contact you to set-up a post award meeting/award orientation.
- For more information, please review the Manage an Award section of our website.