Jhon Paul Smith, Ph.D., S.E., P.E.
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director of Structural Engineering Graduate Program
Building/Room: ENGR 515
Teaching and Research Interests
- Earthquake Engineering and Performance-Based Methodologies
- Seismic Vulnerability of Existing Structures
- Soil-Structure Interaction
- Repair/Strengthening of Structures
- Behavior and Design of Waterfront Structures
Paul received his BSCE in Civil Engineering from the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, and MSCE and Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Purdue University. Prior to joining Seattle University, Paul worked for five years as a consultant and as part-time instructor/adjunct professor at Purdue and the University of Washington. Most of his professional experience is related to the design and construction of waterfront structures, including cruise and ferry piers, container terminals, and wharves. He is a licensed Professional Engineer in the state of California.