Bus or Train
- Use the bus & train schedules to minimize the length of time waiting.
- Plan your route to use the busiest, best-lighted stop possible, both to get on and off a bus or train stop. If you must wait, stay near the attendant's stand or in the best-lighted area available.
- Be sure to have your fare out and ready before you leave home, office, or store.
- If few people are on the bus or train, sit near the driver, or large groups of people.
- Keep your purse, shopping bag, backpack, packages, etc., in your lap, on your arm, or between your feet -- not by themselves on an empty seat.
- Don't let yourself doze off, it can make you an easy target.
- If someone is bothering you on the bus or train, tell the driver/operator, or call 911 with a cell phone.
- If you feel uneasy about getting off at your usual stop, stay on the bus or train until the next stop.