Living Off Campus
- Keep the 911-telephone number for local police, and other emergency services near your telephone.
- Lock all doors and windows whenever you leave. Take your keys with you, even if you leave for only a short while.
- Keep house and car keys on separate rings. When leaving your car in a parking lot, valet parking, or at a service station, leave only your ignition key.
- Always have visitors provide identification before you let them in. Do not rely on a chain lock to prevent entry; it is not sufficient protection.
- If a stranger asks to use your telephone, do not open your door. Instead, offer to call for emergency assistance.
- Do not lend your keys to "helpful strangers", service people or anyone you do not know well and trust.
- Do not attach your address to your key chain.
- Get to know your neighbors so you can help each other
- Utilize electrical timers for lights or a radio tuned to a news or talk radio station when away from home for long periods of time.