Seattle University Board of Trustees
Resolution Commencing Presidential Search and Appointing Search Committee
Be It Remembered
That the following resolution was adopted by the Board of Trustees of Seattle University:
Whereas, President Stephen V. Sundborg, S.J., has announced his intention to retire from the Presidency of Seattle University after the conclusion of the 2020-2021 academic year; and
Whereas, the Board of Trustees is responsible for the timely selection and appointment of an individual to replace President Sundborg as president of the University; and
Whereas, the Board of Trustees wishes to formally commence a presidential search process to discharge its responsibility to select the next president of the University; and
Whereas, the Board of Trustees intends that such process be broad and inclusive,
Now therefore, be it resolved: by the Board of Trustees of Seattle University as follows:
- The following persons are appointed to serve as members of the Presidential Search Committee:
- The Co-Chairs of the Presidential Search Committee shall direct the search process, in consultation with the Board and its Chair, and such other constituencies, groups and individuals as may he appropriate, including representatives of University, faculty, staff, students, and external constituency groups. In doing so, the Presidential Search Committee Co-Chairs are authorized and directed to utilize and employ on the University's behalf a Presidential Search Committee, consultants, a staff administrator and such other staff or University resources as may be necessary or appropriate.
- SU Trustee John H. Vassall, M.D. and former SU Board Chair Betty Woods '74 are appointed to serve as Presidential Search Committee Co-Chairs and to lead the presidential search process.
- Kevin O'Brien, S.J.
SU Trustee, President, Santa Clara University
- Maureen Benoliel '71
SU Trustee, Community Volunteer
- Patrick J. Callans
SU Trustee, Executive Vice President, Costco Wholesale
- Brenda Christensen, M.B.A. '81
SU Trustee, Strategic Advisor and Board Member, Emerging Companies
- Charles H. Porter
SU Trustee, Information Technology Executive
- Timothy P. Leary, Ph.D.
Executive Vice President, Seattle University
- Annette Clark, M.D., J.D. '89
Dean, Seattle University School of Law
- Rubina Mahsud, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Alters School of Business & Economics, Seattle University
- Frank J. Shih, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, College of Science & Engineering, Seattle University
- Jennifer Schulz, Ph.D.
Senior Instructor, College of Arts & Sciences, Seattle University
- Johnica Hopkins, M.A.
Academic Advisor, College of Arts & Sciences, Seattle University
- Megan Lemieux Bell '95
Alumni Board of Governors, Seattle University
- Abem Fekade-Tessema
Undergraduate Student, Alters School of Business & Economics, Seattle University
- Jose Armando Munguia
Graduate Student, College of Arts & Sciences, Seattle University
- Kevin O'Brien, S.J.
- The University Counsel/Corporation Secretary will serve as a non-voting committee member and will assist and advise the Search Committee and the Board in conducting the search.
- The Board has adopted a Search Committee Charge. The Chair of the Board shall deliver the Charge to the Presidential Search Committee at the beginning of the first meeting of the Committee.
- The Co-Chairs of the Presidential Search Committee are instructed to conduct the search process in a manner that is consistent with the Charge; provided, however, that the Board intends that the search process retain the flexibility necessary to ensure the timely selection and appointment of the best possible candidate to serve as the next president of the University.
- The Board intends that the presidential search be conducted on a basis that is inclusive and transparent while maintaining appropriate candidate confidentiality.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Board retains all of its rights and duties, and discretion, by law, to appoint the President of the University
PASSED, APPROVED, AND ADOPTED BY THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF SEATTLE UNIVERSITY AT A DULY CALLED MEETING AT WHICH A QUORUM WAS PRESENT AND PROPER NOTICE GIVEN AS REQUIRED BY LAW AND BY THE BYLAWS OF SEATTLE UNIVERSITY ON THIS 13th DAY OF FEBRUARY, 2020.
By: Nicole W. Piasecki Chair, Board of Trustees
By: Mary S. Petersen Corporation Secretary