Dear Seattle University Community,
We are shaken by and grieving the senseless killing of 12 individuals, including several college students, at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. Many more were injured. We hold each of the victims in our hearts as we join together to support and comfort our colleagues, students and friends most affected by this latest horrific act of violence.
I invite you to a prayer vigil being organized by Campus Ministry at 1:05 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 13, in front of the reflection pool and Chapel of St. Ignatius. We will gather as a community to mourn the victims and pray for their loved ones and for all who are suffering in the wake of this tragedy.
There are a number of resources available to students and colleagues needing care and support during this difficult and painful time:
- Students can visit Counseling and Psychological Services visit (PAVL 120) during urgent care hours (10 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday-Friday) or call 206-296-6090 for an appointment;
- Campus Ministers are available in Student Center 120; call 206-296-6075 or 206-296-6052 for an appointment;
- Veterans and military service members can visit the Outreach Center (STCN 110) during operating hours (9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday) or call 206-296-6334 to set-up a time to meet with one of our veteran and military support staff;
- Staff and faculty seeking support can access SU’s EAP benefits through Wellspring. Please contact Human Resources for more information; and
- Additional resources are also available through the Dean of Students on our website, in Student Center 140 or by calling 206-296-6060.
In prayer and peace,
Stephen V. Sundborg, S.J.