Dear Faculty and Staff,
I am pleased to announce that Michelle Clements has agreed to serve as Seattle University’s Vice President for Human Resources.
Michelle joins Seattle U with more than 18 years of senior executive and HR leadership experience, most recently in her role as Senior Vice President for Human Resources at REI. There she excelled at organizational and leadership development, improved employee engagement practices, recruiting and retention planning, and was crucial in fostering a diverse and inclusive environment reflective of the market. She joins the university with a deep understanding of a complex and dynamic work environment, both internally and externally, and a proven record of developing a strong, collaborative workforce.
A graduate of the Albers School of Business and Economics Leadership Executive MBA program, Michelle has a strong affinity for the Jesuit values of our university and spoke at length during her campus visit of the importance of being a part of a values-based institution. She believes in the importance of being a “steward of the culture,” aligning the workplace with the institution’s mission and vision as well as its strategic plan.
With 30 years of experience in human resources, Michelle brings a unique approach in cultivating strong relationships with key stakeholders from across campus and will work to shape policies and procedures in thoughtful and impactful ways that will further engage our faculty and staff.
I want to thank the faculty and staff who participated in this process, particularly the search committee (listed below), which was chaired by Executive Vice President Tim Leary. My thanks also to those who took the time to meet with the candidates and provide input. Your feedback was integral to bringing this search to a successful completion.
Michelle is thrilled to be joining Seattle University. She will be part of the Cabinet’s annual retreat later this month and we expect she will officially begin her duties by mid-August. I am happy to have Michelle join the senior leadership team and I look forward to all of us warmly welcoming her to the university this summer.
Stephen V. Sundborg, S.J.
Vice President for Human Resources Search Committee
- Tim Leary, Chair and Executive Vice President
- Kim Isaac Brooks, Associate Vice President for University Advancement
- Annette Clark, Dean, School of Law
- Marilyn Crone, Vice President for Enrollment Management
- Andrea Herrera Katahira, Assistant Vice President for Institutional Equity
- Eunice MacGill, Executive Coordinator, College of Education
- Mai Nguyen, Director of Finance, Athletics
- Mary Petersen, Vice President and University Counsel
- Matt Philip, Director, Compensation and Benefits, Human Resources
- Greg Prussia, Professor, Albers School of Business and Economics
- Rob Schwartz, Associate Vice President for Facilities Administration
- Bob Stephan, S.J., Campus Minister for Liturgy
- Alvin Sturdivant, Associate Vice President, Student Development
- Enyu Zhang, Associate Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Anne Moran, Committee Staff Support