Students are responsible for any damage to or loss of his or her property, including money, personal belongings, computers and electronics, or other items of value, located on the University's premises. Students will be charged for repair (or replacement if necessary) of any and all damage that occurs in his or her unit, regardless of whom or what caused the damage (other than damage caused exclusively by a failure in a mechanical or plumbing system of the University).

Students are also responsible for, and will be charged the costs of, any and all damages he or she may cause (alone or with others) to any other area of housing or the University. Students are responsible for the conduct of any guests who are in the residence hall at the invitation or permission of the Student. Some damage charges may be split evenly between all residents in a unit if no single student accepts responsibility for room damage.

Damages are noted on the online Room Condition Inventory (RCI), and each student is responsible for submitting the RCI by the given deadline. Students are able to submit work orders online for items that are broken or not working properly. Any damages found in the student's room not noted on the RCI or fixed through a work order may result in extra damage charges upon checkout.

Residents are encouraged to accept responsibility for their own and their guests' behavior. In instances when damages occurs in individual rooms or in the common areas of the floor or building, attempts will be made to determine the person(s) responsible for the damages. If these attempts are unsuccessful, the replacement or repair costs will be divided among the room, floor, or hall residents at the time that an accurate cost determination is made.

The Resident Hall Director, in consultation with the building's Facilities staff, will make the final determination of the costs and how the amount will be divided in an equal manner. This charge shows up as "Community Damage Charges" on the student's bill (see Making a Payment "My Bill" on SU Online) after the charges have been determined.

More Information

To dispute any damage charges, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Area Coordinator.

Contact Us

Housing and Residence Life

Campion Hall 100
901 12th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122