Campus Community

What support is available to students impacted by Hurricane Ida and the Western Wildfires?

August 31, 2021

Share this

Dean of Students James Willette sent the following message to students today:

Dear Students:

As we begin the academic year, the Office of the Dean of Students is writing to express our support those impacted by Hurricane Ida and the wildfires burning in several areas across the western United States. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are now embarking on a long and difficult road to recovery. If you and your family have been impacted by these disasters, or the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, there are several resources available to you at Seattle University to support you during this difficult time. 

Academic Support

For academic support and resources, please contact your academic advisor or the dean’s office of your school/college. Contact information for the schools/colleges can be found here: 

Housing & Residence Life (Campion Hall 100: 206-296-6305)

For residential students who may need to arrive early or remain in campus housing over break periods due to displacement, please call Housing & Residence Life. Short-term emergency housing may also be available for non-residential students displaced by these events. Your building Area Coordinator, Assistant Area Coordinator, and RAs are great resources for additional support and care throughout the year.

Campus Ministry (Student Center 120: 206-296-6075)

Campus Ministry is one of the many resources on campus that provides an open and hospitable community and is committed to caring for students as whole people. All students, of any religious, secular, or spiritual background, can talk with Campus Ministers as they process life experiences such as: grief or loss of any kind, major life adjustments, spiritual or religious questions and practices, stress, interpersonal challenges, finding community, and more. Fill out the form on our website or stop by our office (Student Center 120) to connect with a Campus Minister. We welcome all undergraduate, graduate, and law students to seek support from a member of the Campus Ministry team or other ministry partners at any point during their time at SU.

Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) (206-296-6090)

CAPS provides confidential short-term group and individual psychotherapy for students and referral services for those requiring specialized longer-term care.  These services are provided free of charge to enrolled students.  CAPS currently offers to tele-counseling options for students who currently reside in Washington State. CAPS staff are licensed to practice in WA state only. For students who reside outside of WA, CAPS can assist you with tele-counseling referrals in your area.  All clinical services are confidential. 

Student Health Center (Bellarmine 107: 206-296-6300)

The Student Health Center, located in Bellarmine Hall 107, offers several medical services for enrolled students at a low cost.

Student Success & Outreach (Student Center 110: 206-296-6333)

Student Success & Outreach provides resources, spaces, and programs to student populations including adult learners, first-generation students, graduate students, students who commute, students who transfer to Seattle U, and veterans. Students who would like a place to connect, find support in community, or talk with a peer or staff person about what they are experiencing are encouraged to come by the Outreach Center (Student Center 110) or either Collegia (Student Center 310 and Hunthausen 140). We acknowledge and affirm our community’s multiple intersecting identities, including low-income, international, undocumented and DACA, and graduate students.

Office of the Dean of Students (Student Center 140: 206-296-6060)

The Office of the Dean of Students is available to offer support and to help students identify on- or off-campus resources that may be helpful during this difficult time. Limited financial assistance may be available for those needing to replace basic school supplies, personal care items, identification cards, and other smaller items. The Office of the Dean of Students can also assist in identifying off-campus sources of support for food, transportation, and other basic needs. Call 206-296-6060 to schedule a time to meet.

Virtual Student Support Center (Call: 206-202-5907 or Text: 206-202-4341)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about programs, services, and resources available to support you at the Virtual Student Support Center.  You can find answers related to distance learning, financial aid, housing, wellness resources, commencement, and many other topics on this page.  Visit to learn more. 

Food Security Resources

Crisis Resources

If you are experiencing an emotional or psychological crisis and need immediate assistance, please call the Department of Public Safety at 206-296-5911, call 911, or go to your nearest emergency room. 

CAPS Mental Health Resources

CAPS has compiled a helpful list of resources related to mental health support on their website at

Crisis Connections (Off-Campus Crisis Line)


Crisis Connections connects people in King County with physical, emotional, and financial crisis to services that will be of help.

Available 24/7 

Suicide Prevention Lifeline (Off-Campus Crisis Line)


The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.

Available 24/7 

Crisis Text Line (Off-Campus Crisis Text Line)

Text HOME to 741741

Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text 741741 from anywhere in the US to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. Crisis Text Line trains volunteers to support people in crisis. 

Available 24/7

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by these disasters. Please let us know how we can help and support you during this difficult time.


James Willette, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President & Dean of Students