Introduction to Digital Cultures: DICE 3000
Offered: Fall Quarter 2020
Examine how digital technologies are changing how we interact, work, and live. In this course, you will learn the basic critical vocabulary used to analyze how digital technologies intersect with and transform the human experience. You will also begin learning key digital skills, such as how to create a portfolio using Weebly.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of key disciplinary conversations and debates about digital technologies and their impact on society and culture.
- Become familiar with primary technological modes of production and practice using digital tools and languages.
- Describe (both verbally and in writing) contemporary forms of social and cultural engagement that use digital technologies.
- Evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of research sources, digital tools, technologies, interfaces, and artifacts.
- Examine how technologically-mediated identities reflect and transform cultural ideologies of gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexuality, and social class.
- Engage in collaborative critical thinking and reflect on your contribution, role, values, and identity as you engage in activities and debates about digital culture.