Microsoft Office 365 Message Encryption (OME) is available to SeattleU Outlook users. This service is currently available through the web application available at outlook.office.edu. There are four options to protect the contents of your emails:
- Do Not Forward
- Seattle University - Confidential
- Seattle University - Confidential View Only
To Protect your email:
- Log into outlook.office.com
- Click Create New Email
- Click Protect
The default protection is Do Not Forward. Use this feature if you are sending confidential information that you do not want forwarded, printed, or copied by the recipient (i.e. personally identifiable information such as bank or credit card information).
To access additional email security other than Do Not Forward:
- Follow the above instructions to protect the email.
- Click on Change Permissions.
- You will see the following options: Encrypt, Do Not Forward, Seattle University - Confidential, Seattle University - Confidential View Only.
- Use this feature if you are sending information that you would like to add encrytion to (i.e. a copt of your transcript).
- Message at top of email: This message is encrypted. Recipients can't remove the encryption.
Do Not Forward:
- Use this feature if you are sending information to people that you do not want them to forward.
- Message ar top of email: Recipients can read this message, but they can't forward, print, or copy content.
Seattle University - Confidential:
- Use this feature if you are sending information that you do not want anyone that does not have a SeattleU email address to be able to open.
- Message at top of email: This content is proprietary information for internal users only. This content can be modified but cannot be copied and printed.
Seattle University - Confidential View Only:
- Use this feature if you are sending information that you do not want anyone that does not have a SeattleU email address to be able to open and you only want the recipient to be able to read but not modify the content.
- Message at top of email: This content is proprietary information intended for internal users only. This content cannot be modified.
Recipients of encrypted messages with a SeattleU email address will be able to read those messages seamlessly in any version Outlook, including Outlook for PC, Outlook for Mac, Outlook on the web, Outlook for iOS, and Outlook for Android. Users that receive encrypted messages on other email clients can view the messages in the OME portal. Recipients outside SeattleU will receive one of the following emails: