All international students can work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Please note that in order to work off campus, international students need approval from their ISC advisor.

Types of Employment Available

On Campus Employment

As an international student, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and 40 hours per week during the summer break at the Seattle University. In addition to on-campus employment, you will need to complete a full-time course load each quarter (Fall/Winter/Spring). To find listings of on-campus jobs, please go to Handshake run by the Career Engagement Office.

Many on-campus jobs are "work-study" jobs. Work study jobs are for U.S. citizens/permanent residents who are receiving a financial aid package from the government which requires them to work on campus. International students are not eligible for work-study.

Some offices may only be able to hire work-study students, while others may have a budget for hiring Institutional Work Study students. Working on campus does not require getting any written permission from the International Student Center or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and you can start working as soon as you begin your studies at Seattle University.

Unpaid Internships

If you would like to do an unpaid internship, you do not need to get permission from the International Student Center or USCIS. As long as you are not receiving compensation of any kind, and you are not replacing a paid employee with your internship, you are allowed to do an internship at any off-campus location.

Economic Hardship

If you suffer from unforeseen financial difficulties, due to circumstances beyond your control, you may be able to apply for work authorization based on economic hardship. In order to apply, you must provide proof that your financial sponsor has unexpectedly suffered financial difficulties.

This may be due to sudden fluctuations in your country's currency, a sponsor losing their job, death of sponsor, or similar circumstances. You will also have to show that you made genuine attempts to obtain on-campus employment before seeking the economic hardship work permit, and that on-campus jobs were either not available or were insufficient.

International Organizations

You may work off campus at an international organization as defined in the International Organization Immunities Act. Examples include the United Nations, World Health Organization, and the Asian Development Bank, to name a few. Most of these organizations are located in Washington, D.C. or New York City, so if you would like to work under this program, it would need to be during your vacation quarter.